Finneas Brentley

Rose sat down at the Gryffindor table in the great hall, and began to help herself to breakfast. Sitting next to her was her best friend, Alice Longbottom, who was chatting incessantly about an article on the latest fashion she'd seen in witch's weekly, but Rose was only really half listening, she kept looking over to the Slytherin table where Albus and Scorpius were in deep conversation and glanced at her every couple of minutes. She blushed at the thought of what they were discussing, and tried to focus on her bacon and eggs. Meanwhile, Alice had suddenly stopped talking.

"What are you blushing about?" she asked suspiciously.

"Nothing!" Rose hastily replied, going even redder. Alice looked over to the Slytherin table and then back at Rose.

"Explain yourself," demanded Alice, "What is going on between you and Scorpius? I thought you hated him."

Rose recounted the events of the other day to Alice, blushing at the memories of how he'd held her hand and brushed the hair out of her eyes. When she was finished, Alice looked astounded.

"I do not believe it" she exclaimed, "Rose Weasley and Scorpius Malfoy!"

"Keep your voice down!" hissed Rose, her cheeks flaming once again, "And it's not like that, he was just being nice."

"Oh sure" said Alice, smirking. The two went back to their breakfasts.

Rose pondered on what Alice had said, Rose Weasley and Scorpius Malfoy. Her father would never let her, never in a hundred years. Plus they were just friends, new friends. It wasn't like that at all.

Somebody cleared their throat behind the two girls. Rose turned around to find Finneas Brentley, a Hufflepuff boy in the year above her. He was, in many girls' opinion, the cutest boy in the school. He had soft light brown hair that always looked amazing no matter what, cornflower blue eyes, smooth slightly tanned skin and radiant white teeth. He looked shyly at Rose.

"I was wondering if you wanted to go with me on the next Hogsmeade weekend," he said to her, smiling a little.

Rose felt as if she'd been hit with a stunning spell in the chest. She had never before even talked to Finneas Brentley, and although she couldn't deny that he was gorgeous, this was a surprise for her. Finneas' smile faltered at her reaction, he looked suddenly nervous.

"It's ok if you don't want too," he added quickly and looked as though he were about to leave.

"No- I mean- I don't not want to- I just... Could I maybe have some time to think about it? It's just a bit sudden.. That's all" she stuttered. God why couldn't she speak properly! Finneas' small smile returned.

"Sure," he said, and turned to walk back to the Hufflepuff table.

Rose and Alice looked significantly at each other.

"What should I do?" asked Rose desperately.

"Think it through," replied Alice, "Do you really want to go with him? He seems nice but you don't really know him that well."

"True," said Rose, "And what if Scorpius asks me?" she added to herself. She buried her head in her hands and tried to straighten out all her thoughts, but it was no use.

Rose's classes flew by that day, until finally it was the last lesson of the day; history of magic, which they had with the Slytherins.

History of magic was taught by Professor Binns, a dedicated teacher who had never let anything stop him from educating Hogwarts students, even his own death. Dedicated though he was, Binns was extremely boring to listen too, and although Rose could usually produce at least some decent notes, today there was no hope. She kept catching Scorpius staring at her all through the lesson and then secretly stealing glances at him while he wasn't looking. She was feeling increasingly confused about her emotions. By the time Professor Binns had gotten onto the subject of witch speakeasies in the 1920s, she was in a completely different world, gazing at the blackboard with unfocused eyes.

On the one hand, Finneas was extremely handsome, and she couldn't fathom the amount of girls who would have loved to be asked to Hogsmeade by him. He was good-looking, but not some sort of pretty-boy. He was cutely shy, and as far as she knew, kind. She had liked him in her second year for quite some time, although she hadn't thought about him in a while.

On the other hand, Scorpius she knew was kind. They had previously been enemies, but she was fairly confident that they were friends now. He was also, if not more than, handsome like Finneas. Rose and Scorpius knew each other better and he was friends with Albus.

Bloody hell, why did everything have to be so complicated?

Perhaps she should just go to Hogsmeade with Finneas. It was just one time, wasn't it? Scorpius would never have to know.

Rose was on her way to the great hall, where she planned to tell Finneas that she had accepted his offer. She was in better spirits now that she'd made up her mind and was smiling slightly to herself as she wandered through the corridors. She turned onto the moving staircases and saw Finneas walking a little way ahead of her. Perfect, she thought, now she could tell him more privately.

"Finneas?" she called. Finneas looked over his shoulder, his bright blue eyes twinkling in the dim light of the flickering torches. He walked back up the stairs towards her.

"Yes?" he asked, reaching her. He stood rather uncomfortably close.

"I.." she began, "I just wanted to tell you that I thought about what you said this morning, and I'd really like to go to Hogsmeade with you." Finneas broke into a grin, his white teeth sparkling.

"That's great!" he told her, "I'm pretty sure the next Hogsmeade weekend is the weekend after the next, is it ok with you if I come pick you up near the whomping willow?"

"Sure," replied Rose, allowing herself a small smile.

The two of them walked down together to the great hall, chatting casually. By the time she was eating dinner, Rose felt she knew Finneas much better. He was certainly charming, and funny. He smiled lots too, probably to show off those perfect teeth of his. He was slightly arrogant at times, but only slightly, and he was very nice really. She felt as though she'd made the right decision. These were the thoughts circling her head as she fell asleep in the girls dormitory several hours later.