Chapter 5

Matt headed straight up the stairs, Rowan hung back with Cupid and I. We were on the side that clearly housed the second floor of the library and near the landing there was another set of grand doors that were currently open and looking into the massive room. Ahead of us was a closed door and the hallway leading away from the library held more closed doors.

"Unless the maintenance crew locks them all the doors are unlocked." Matt explained, "If we follow this down there's the stairs that lead to the third floor as well as the bedrooms on this one. Ahead of us is an office, lounge, and another office. There's also an office at the back of the library on this floor."

"What's on the third floor?" I asked.

"Six more bedrooms, another office, and a huge lounge room that was also use as a recreational room." Matt answered.

"How do you seem to know so much about this manor?" I asked, I felt stupid right after because he probably explored it multiple times and learned all that.

"So, I work for the Forest Service, and I have my rounds where I am one the people taking care of the building and ensuring that it remains a safe place for the public." Matt answered.

"When he has permission, he takes us to the servants' areas that are normally locked, and he knows where there are secret rooms and such." Rowan added.

"There's secret rooms?" I asked.

"Well yeah, a lot of old buildings had them for various reasons. Some was just to keep the servants out of sight. Some more sinister and used to keep unwanted children out of sight." Matt answered, "Sorry I'm kind of into history on old buildings and all of that."

"No need to apologize, I think it's cool that you know that." I said.

I took Cupid with me as I wondered down the hall to look into some of the rooms. I found the stairs Matt had mentioned, they curved up mimicking the grand stair cases that led to this floor. Down the hall from us I could hear humming. I looked back at the boys to see them going into the room Matt had said was an office.

"Sounds like someone else is exploring today too." I told Cupid as I followed the sound to the last door in the hallway that ran opposite the stairs.

I knocked lightly on the door. No one answered and the humming didn't stop. I was thinking that someone just had headphones in and didn't hear me knock. I tried the handle and found it was unlocked.

"Hello?" I called as I entered the room.

A huge carved four poster bed frame was the first thing I noticed. There wasn't a mattress, just the frame. I couldn't see anyone in the room, I walked closer to the bed to look around to the side I couldn't see. The humming finally stopped.

There was no one there. The frame caught my attention. There was hand carved designs in the wood.

The door slammed closed.

I jumped and Cupid barked.

"Most have caught a breeze." I told Cupid as I went back to the door.

It was locked.

"Matt. Rowan. This isn't funny. Let me out." I called out, thinking that Matt probably had a set of keys and they were playing a prank on me.

There was no noise from the other side of the door.

Cupid laid down at me feet as I tried the handle again. It wouldn't move and it being an old manor the doors locked with keys.

"Matt! Rowan!" I screamed and ponded on the door.