VII

His eyes scanned the room, evaluating every single female insight. There were approximately eight doctors invited to the team, all experts in their fields. Of those, five were full blood light fae healers and physicians. They immediately stood out with their royal blue and gold embellished lab coats. That left the remaining doctors in white. It didn't surprise Raphael that the taskforce was mostly fae. The FLA frankly valued their own kind's physicians because only they were competent in doing healing magic. Humans were unable unless they were witches, and even then, it was still cumbersome to be fully approved to practice in all supernatural species under the FLA. So he studied the remaining individuals clad in white, but there were only two. One was a small female with deep caramel skin and dark raven locks. Dr. Jess Lewis was as pale as her father had been. So it wasn't her. The only remaining white-clad member was male. A growl threatened to erupt from his throat in frustration. Where the hell was Dr. Jess Lewis?

"I'm not surprised, say the least." A haughty voice echoed from one of the full blood faes in front. Raphael's eyes glanced over at the speaker who crossed her arms. Her pale face contorted horribly as she snorted. "Don't you remember how she used to sneak out of Dr. Lewis's estate to go to biker clubs? I doubt that she's stopped that habit."

That was a new one. Did she use to frequent biker clubs as a child?

"I heard that she left the country to go and work as a private physician for the troll mafia." Another voice echoed inside the room.

"Please, more like become a mafia's mistress." That same faire scoffed. With each mention of Dr. Jess Lewis, the woman's face would twist and twist. The two had bad blood. But Jess Lewis had to have been fourteen when they crossed paths, so how bad could it have been? He had heard that Dr. Lewis's daughter was rebellious as a youth, but surely she would have outgrown her outlandish tendencies by now.

"Captain Shou!" The guard outside of the door exclaimed loudly. Suddenly heads whipped around at the echo of the door slamming against the wall. There in the frame was a very annoyed Captain Shou of the Knight Division, holding a surprising guest by the arm. Her bright honey locks cascaded down her face, whirling into the air with every shake of her head. Raphael could have sworn that the scent that filled the room was addictive. It was smelled like honeycomb and cinnamon, reminding him of the mountains and his packs' holiday brew, such a curious scent for the intruder in front of him.

He, like many others in the room, couldn't stop staring at the woman in front of them. Her full pink lips smirked at the man dragging her into the room. Her white lab coat hung tightly to her frame, outlining some shocking curves. Raphael had to steel himself. It wasn't a surprise that she was a handful then at a young age, especially if she looked like that. But it wasn't the fact that she was late that shocked everyone. Hell, it wasn't even her appearance that made Raphael stare, even though, he wouldn't have minded a longer examination. It was the fact that she was laughing that silenced the room.

"Come on Shou," She wined at the very irritated dhampir that practically forced her into the nearest empty chair. "You brought me all the way here." Her hooded eyes stayed on the dhampir with a wicked grin peeling around the corners of lips. She wrapped her arms around Shou's neck and pouted.

Goddess, her voice, it was laced with lust. Was she taunting and flirting with the Captain of the Knight Division? Shit. Raphael's eyes narrowed. Was she really doing this in front of the werewolf representatives, the FLA members, the taskforce? He watched her eyes glance just for a moment at the other shocked faces of the room before turning back to Shou. Raphael's brow rose.

This was an act. But for who?

"Dr. Lewis, calm down." Shou's teeth gritted together as he almost snarled at the woman who didn't even bat an eye. She purred in delight instead, while half the room practically jumped out of their seats. Well, the physicians who were a mixture of disgust and fear. They jumped. The rest of the room was full of officials who had all seen action. Some had even seen the Captain in action. But it didn't stop the layers and layers of power that flowed off the Captain from filling the room with tension. Even his wolf became alert at the powerful sound that emitted from the Captain's throat. Captain Shou wasn't one to challenge nor one to tease. The man was as powerful as an Alpha werewolf, if not more.

"But Shou, you promised." Her finger trailed up Shou's chest, pouting softly. "After all, you didn't seem to mind last night."

"Dr. Lewis, you have work to do. Whatever we had, can continue—" She cut him off with her lips. Shou's eyes grew wide, and for a split second, it seemed like he enjoyed the forwardness of the woman in front of him. A subtle softening of his brows, a single shift. No one else would have caught it but Raphael was able to. But it was not even for a moment, as Shou's golden eyes narrowed, glowing red in rage. Insulted by her behavior in front of his and her colleagues. He shoved her into her chair and stalked out of the room. Pissed off.

The woman simply giggled and wiggled her fingers. "Bye, bye Shou!"

Well, whatever act she was doing, the Captain wasn't a part of. But it looked like he wasn't objecting to it for a moment there. Raphael kept his eyes on her because while the room saw a rather unsuitable doctor, he saw a disciplined deceiver. Her eyes even did another quick sweep of the room, a small smirk twitching on the corners of her lips. It seemed like she was assessing her entrance, which confirmed Raphael's suspicions. But as her bright sapphire eyes continued their sweep, they met his dark gray eyes. Her smile faltered as the two locked eyes.

She knew he was on to her. Raphael smirked at the woman across the room.

Alright, then, Dr. Jess Lewis. Game on. He decided, leaning back. She was proving to be another mystery to unlock during this crisis. Hopefully, she would be easier to crack than this disease.