44

harry potter was, in saige black's humblest of opinions, the definition of the word 'dick.' if you were to take a peek into the oxford dictionary (which she had, unfortunately, been forced to read when she was seven by one particularly sour witch who looked after her), a portrait of his face would be the only thing on the entire page. she wished she could scream every foul word she had ever learned (all from that same dictionary, mind you) directly into his skull, so he could, for once, get something through his absolutely thick head. 

he had been shooting her a particularly sour look since her and hermione joined harry and ron for breakfast, and saige was perfectly proud to admit that she had been sending a far nastier one back. she had, after all, inherited some of the black family charm from dear old grandmum. according to her father, she was the nastiest woman on the planet. saige only hoped that she held an inch of that sourness on the outside, as all she could feel inside of her was betrayal.

she really had hoped that harry would see that she was right. that he would apologize and give her a hug and tell her that everything was going to be okay, because that's what she needed most. 

but harry never, ever seemed to figure out what anyone needed besides himself. 

he shifted under her glare, although his eyes still held a carbon copy of the air of deceit in saige's. she hadn't noticed that neither of them had even dared to fill their plates before hermione and ron each gave them a quick nudge, snapping the hateful pair out of their vengeful reverie. 

hermione, of course, already knew about the altercation from a night ago. she was still awake, trying to get through the never ending pile of coursework she always seemed to have, when saige had burst into the commonroom with tears streaming down her cheeks. 

"he's a fucking idiot," she had spat viciously, before collapsing onto her bed, not caring about the light dusting of snow that had soaked her sheets. hermione had never heard saige be so profane before, and it certainly sparked a curiosity that, unfortunately, had not been met quite yet. saige refused to tell her anything about it. 

the girls both didn't know for sure whether harry had told ron, but judging by the look on the ginger's face, he had at least dropped some details. 

"are you lot going to keep up the staring contest, or are you going to bloody eat something?" seamus finnigan teased from next to harry, clearly amused by the thick tension between the pair. 

"actually, i don't think i feel like breakfast today," saige said over the growling of her hollow stomach. she stood abruptly, never breaking harry's stare, and left, ignoring the protests of hermione and ron beside her. 

saige found that the moment her eyes tore off harry's, they were focused directly on the floor. she walked at what felt like a marathon pace, hands in autopilot as they pushed the doors of the great hall open, and took off down the corridor. 

she nearly screamed when she crashed into a slightly shorter figure. 

"salazar, black, watch where you're going," draco malfoy spat out of instinct, lip curled. saige rolled her eyes. 

"piss off," she growled, a dark glint in her eye, before trying to push past him and towards her common room. 

"oh- blimey, i better just get this over with. i- i'm, uh, i'm sorry about what happened." draco blurted, and saige froze in her tracks. 

"what did you just say?" she said hollowly, eyes snapping to his. 

"when i left you outside the common room. don't make me say it again," he said, nearly cringing at the thought of having to apologize.