emmett forest-legally blonde

My motto in life is You get what you work for. I always believed that my discipline and perseverance would guide me to my lifelong goal. Did I achieve that goal? Well, maybe I should backtrack a bit.

Summer of 2000, I received the most prized letter I think I'll ever get. The work I've toiled with all my life had finally paid off. I had been admitted to the transfer program at Harvard Law School as a junior! It was my dream to be a Family Attorney in New York City, and I knew transferring to Harvard was the perfect place for me to get started on that dream.

When I moved into my cozy dorm, I couldn't even wipe the smile off my face. My roommate seemed less ecstatic and cheery as I. I didn't mind though, she seemed to have her own friend group apart from me. We passed and went, acknowledging each other with a small smile or a wave, but I never connected with her.

We started classes the next week, and by my schedule I knew I had to make a perfect impression on my teachers. I had studied the readings over and over until the words seemed burned into my mind. I picked a great outfit for the first day of classes, a white button down sweater and black skirt, along with some of my favorite boots. I knew with my inner strength, there would be nothing holding me back.

Except maybe, the universe.

Everything seemed to go wrong that first day of classes. Though I triple checked my alarm, it didn't go off until half an hour before classes started. Emma and I even had the same first class, Family Law with Dr. Callahan, but she left and didn't even bother waking me up!

I rushed out the door with my backpack after quickly getting dressed, not even noticing I had left my laptop on my desk. All my notes and assignments were completed on that stupid little thing, and I stupidly forgot it.

The universe cut me a break and I jogged to my class. With my heels aching from my run to class, I luckily reached there right in the nick of time. A small smile formed on my face once more as I opened the Law Building door.

But it was no use.

I turned the corner to find room 513, but a rushed student was going way too fast down the hallway, and had no time to slow down before crashing right into me.

I felt the bump, sure. Even felt a stinging pain in my side from his elbow cracking into me. But what I didn't anticipate was the feeling of scalding hot burns on my stomach, and a slow dripping sound.

I looked up at the guy, his big blue eyes wide with guilt. His mouth hung open as he was attempting to find the words to apologize. But as my stomach started to sting, I snapped my head to look at my sweater.

My whole outfit, drenched in black coffee.

My heart sank as the caffeinated drink settled into the fibers of my white sweater. My skirt and boots were covered in the same liquid. My chest began to burn, not from the SCALDING coffee, but from pure anger.

I looked back up at the student slowly. Though I'm generally a nice person, there was no doubt I felt the greatest hatred for that man right then.

"I-I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to, I was just...trying to find Callahan's room. I didn't mean to-" The brunette student began to plead, his coffee cup on the ground, empty, and his hands stretched empathetically outwards.

I stopped his words with a simple, quick hand raise. I didn't need to hear it. In fact, this random kids' excuses were the last thing I needed to hear. Clenching my jaw with pure stress, I walked past the student quickly.

The coffee squeaking my boots on the wood floors didn't help as I walked into Callahan's class, now ten minutes late. I dreaded to even open the door.