𝐎𝐧𝐞.

"Good evening Your Majesty. Ubuyashiki Kagaya present. Allow me to introduce you to the Hashiras, the nine strongest swordsmen, who will be protecting you until your coronation day." The blind butler said, bowing his head in respect for the royal-blooded female who sat at her vanity, staring mindlessly at her dazzling reflection with a soft paper soaked with make-up remover.

Seven males and two females suddenly appeared behind Kagaya. They all got on their knees and bowed before their future queen, chanting, "Good evening Your Majesty. We are at your service." Their words were so synchronized that had it not been for the difference in the sound of their voice, no one would be able to tell it was the sound of nine people rather than one.

(Y/N) (L/N) turned around, her cold pupils trailed each swordsman carefully as if she was judging them and debating whether they are worthy enough to guard her worthy self. Each Hashira remained on their left knees and waited as the current princess assessed them with her eyes. Only after (Y/N)'s eyes had enough, did she turn around again and blinked at her reflection.

"Stand up and state your name and Breathing style. Starting from the female on my left and continuing until the male on my right." (Y/N) ordered, gently wiping the heavy makeup off her flawless face. Her bare face was not much different from the visual she upholds in the presence of other nobles and her loyal subjects. As expected, royalties still look gorgeous with their bare face.

"Kanroji Mitsuri, Love Breathing." The woman with pinkish hair that fades to green replied, bowing even lower. The rate of her heartbeat increased rapidly by the minute. She was in the presence of royalty, of course, she would be nervous!

"Kocho Shinobu, Insect Breathing." Another woman with dark hair said. Her hair gradient was a lovely shade of black and purple and she had a tight bun secured with an attractive butterfly pin.

"Tokito Muichiro. Mist Breathing." A young male said monotony. He had long flowing hair with an abnormal teal tip. He looked way younger than the other Hashiras.

'He's probably only slightly older than Kagaya's son,' (Y/N) thought, her eyes outlining the silhouette of Muichiro's figure through her vanity mirror.

"Uzui Tengen, Sound Breathing." A male with peculiar white hair and a unique red tattoo around his right eye said.

"Himejima Gyomei, Stone Breathing." The oldest out of the nine Hashiras said quietly. (Y/N) was slightly amused,' The age difference between Gyomei and Muichiro is quite big.' (Y/N) commented mentally.

"Rengoku Kyojuro, Flame Breathing." A member of the Rengoku family bowed. (Y/N) nod with approval as the Rengoku family produces Hashiras using Flame Breathing to protect the (L/N) family. They have been safeguarding royalties from the (L/N) family for centuries and (Y/N) was sure they will continue in doing so.

"Shinazugawa Sanemi, Wind Breathing." Another male with white hair said. There was a fierce expression on his face but (Y/N) could tell that he was loyal and devoted. His determination and strong willpower were seeping from his figure and somehow, (Y/N) could sense that he was strong and a faithful follower.

"Iguro Obanai, Serpent Breathing." A heterochronic-eyed male said. There were bandages wrapped around his chin and mouth. A mysterious aura surrounded him which piqued (Y/N)'s interest.

"Tomioka Giyuu, Water Breathing" Upon the mention of the last Hashira's name, the corner of (Y/N)'s pupils glanced over, catching a glimpse of this male. He bared the same monotone expression Muichiro had and not once had he lifted his head to look at (Y/N). The young royal found herself staring hard into the Water Breather's body which resulted in the male finally, but reluctantly, lifting his head.

'Ah... So that's how he looks like...' (Y/N) thought, looking at the mesmerizing male before her. His face was free from scars of any kind and his eyes a deep bluish colour. It felt like his eyes were the sea and (Y/N) found herself drowning in his pupils. It was a suffocating feeling which lead to the female turning around again to admire herself in the vanity mirror.

"You may all rise." (Y/N) commanded.

The Hashiras did as they were told and in an instant, they were on their feet. (Y/N) too, slowly rose to her feet and turned around, standing before the nine strongest swordsmen and swordswomen with her hands clasped in front of her. In the dim moonlight, the jewels decorating (Y/N)'s dress shimmered, making the young royal's face more visible.

"My coronation day will be in a week and until then, all of you are to protect me from afar and stay hidden from the public. On my coronation day, I will be crowned queen of this land, making safeguarding my safety even more important. It just so happens that the day I officially announce your duty to become my guards to the public is the day right after my coronation day. On that day, Kagaya will distribute your formal wear and you shall follow his instructions for I will be busy taking care of other affairs. That is all from me, let Kagaya show you to your rooms and rest well, your work begins tomorrow."

With that, Kagaya ushered the nine guards outside and (Y/N) finally plopped her body down on the velvet chair. Her back slouched against the soft material as she let out a heavy sigh. Having to put up a cold and heartless persona was taking a toll on the young girl's body. She had to look bored at banquets and tea parties hosted by royalties wherever she went she had to put on a facade to please people. A people pleaser, that was who (Y/N) was. The mix-up of her real personality and the personality people expect her to embody caused her constant fatigue. Thank goodness her duties do not require running around or carrying out anything physically straining.

"...I'll take a bath before going to sleep."

Reluctant to leave the comfortable seat, (Y/N) only stood up seconds later and then dragged her worn-out body towards the bathroom.

"Your Majesty, may I assist you in any way?" A lady-in-waiting rushed over, allowing (Y/N) to lean against her arm.

"...Prepare a bath."

"Yes, your Majesty."

*.✧*。☆.。*♡*゚.✧