November 1 Prompt

Prompt: Write a scene that starts with the line, "Don't you want to look sophisticated and elegant?"

"Don't you want to look sophisticated and elegant?"

Clare held the sandals by the straps, letting them dangle in front of Nivia's face. Just looking at them made Nivia's feet want to curl in pain.

"This isn't sophisticated?" she asked, gesturing to her skirt and blouse. She'd finished off the outfit with a pair of shiny black flats that, admittedly, were getting scuffed at the toe and heel. Nothing a little shoe polish couldn't fix.

Clare's eyes scanned her clinically. Nivia could almost see the judgments being processed, flitting through her mind as quickly as computer code. "If you have to ask that question," Clare said finally, "then you really need my help."

A knock came at the bedroom door. "Come in," Nivia said, her mind on the matter of how the hell she was going to get out of this situation without strapping herself into torture devices disguised as footwear--or, God forbid, being berated by Clare for the next five weeks.

Aster's head poked through the doorway. "You're not ready yet?" Taking in Nivia's outfit she frowned, her bright lips puckering. "Okay, please tell me you're not ready yet."

Nivia pointed to the hallway. "Out, all of you."

"Seriously, Nivia, we're trying to help," Clare said with the measured tone that tried not to be condescending but instead made Nivia clench her jaw.

"Then take my gratitude on the way out."

Dropping the sandals onto the bed with a whisper of "Just in case," Clare followed Aster into the hallway. Their murmurs disappeared behind the door as Nivia slammed it shut. With a frustrated sigh she sat at the edge of her bed and placed her head in her hands. She could feel the incipient headache behind her temple, ready to immobilize her. Reaching into her purse, she grabbed the bottle of aspirin and popped one into her mouth, dry swallowing it.

If only all her other problems could be so easily solved.