Chapter 17

My eyes snapped open as the gym doors opened and I glanced sideways, my heart sped up as I saw Kageyama step inside and I quickly shut my eyes again.

It was silent for awhile before I heard a intake of breath and footsteps before I felt my breath hit something followed by a sigh of relief before the thing disappeared.

Weird.

I felt a tingle of excitement when our arms brushed as he sat down beside me.

I pushed down the urge to open my eyes in case Kageyama was looking at me, I knew he would yell at me or something and I didn't want to break this peaceful silence-

He shifted. Our shoulders touched. My heart fluttered and I nearly squeaked.

I tried to stay calm and slow my breathing before he realised I was awake when I heard him make a weird sound.

Sounded like he was... Anxious?

I cracked my eyes just a bit and glanced sidewards at him,
his expression was hard to read as he was looking down at his phone but it looked slightly panicked, fearful even.

What was he-

I nearly jumped as he raised the phone to his ear and I heard the sound of a call going through before a beep rang out.

"Hi!! This is Wren Katachi! If I don't pick up it's probably cause I'm with my amazing boyfriend right now! If it's a emergency just keep on calling and I'll pick up, if not leave a lil message and I'll call you back. Wren out!"

The message ended with a beep and Kageyama spoke.

"Hi Wren, it's Tobio. Why aren't you answering? Are you asleep? Or did I do something? I'm sorry if I did... I'm worried, please call me back."

Silence filled the room again but I was busy trying to calm the anger and jealousy seething inside me, oh and the smug satisfaction that Wren would never answer that phone again.

Kageyama was mine.
Always has and forever will be.

That's just how the story goes.

I shook myself out of my thoughts as Kageyama tried calling over and over again, I could the desperation and  fear growing is his voice with every missed call and I felt something stir inside me.

"Wren I'm sorry if I did anything or if you don't like me anymore o-or if you want to break up b-but please call me back- I-I'm scared. Your s-scaring me. Please call. Please.. I love you... I l-love you! Please hurry up and answer..."

Once again there was silence, but I didn't like this silence. It made bile build on my tongue and a strange feeling swell inside me,

I opened my eyes just a crack and glanced sidewards,

Kageyama had the top of his phone pressed to his forehead and his eyes screwed shut, his chest was rising and falling quickly and I could literally feel the dread radiating from him.

I pushed down the strange feeling in me to let the anger in instead.

This was all Wrens fault.

Yeah.. yeah. It's Wrens fault-! Wren should have never met Kageyama! It's his own fucking fault!

My face twitched and begged to let the grin spread but I refused, Kageyama can't- CANNOT- know that I was awake, at least not yet- unless...

I made a mming sound then stretched -making Kageyama jump- and opened my eyes.

I yawned, rubbed my eyes than pretended to just notice Kageyama beside me,

"Mmm... Kageyama?" I faked the sleepy sound in my voice perfectly as I turned to face him,

He quickly returned his face from shocked to normal, or as normal as he could with faint tears in his eyes.

"Are you okay?" I cocked my head sidewards as he avoided eye contact.

"Y-Yeah I'm fine, um I-... d-did you see Wren at anytime yesterday? O-Or today..?" His eyes flicked to my face before looking away again.

I pretended to think for a bit before clicking my fingers,
"I did! Yesterday I saw him leave, why?"

Kageyama let out a shaky breath before replying, "Ah.. um well he isn't answering his phone and he usually texts me every morning so I-"

I cut him off, "Why does he text you every morning? I don't even do that, you guys must be really good friends!"

I pasted a confused but curious grin on my face and I noticed a faint pink dust his cheeks, huh.

"Uh y-yeah about that. We're actually
d-dating..." 

The grin slipped from my face to be replaced by a blank face before I could stop it and I felt Kageyama stiffen slightly, 

"Hinata? Oi, you okay..?"  I quickly put up the facade again and blinked,

"Dating? You're dating Wren?? T-That's... That's umm, c-cool..! I understand now hahaha..." hearing him actually say it had felt like a blade had pierced through my heart and twisted.

"Right... are you grossed out?"

I blinked, "What?"

"Does it gross you out that I'm gay?"

There was a shadow in his eyes, unspoken feelings. Fear, apprehension, regret and something more that I couldn't figure out.

"W.. What?? Of course not, Why would it? You like guys, and?" I crossed my legs so that I was sitting cross legged and smiled at him,

*Wow. That was so cheesy, you suck-*

My eyes widened in shock as a tear slipped from his eye and splashed to the floor, "Are you okay?-"

I didn't get to finish as I was engulfed in a hug. 

"K... Kageyama..?" I said in a stunned voice and I heard him sniff and felt him  let out a quiet wobbly laugh on my shoulder

"Of course you would say something like that..Sorry.. This must be so lame, Me crying like a baby.. Haha.."

I slowly relaxed and wrapped my arms around him, making him stiffen.

"It's not lame. It makes you seem more... Human somehow," I rubbed his back and that obviously made him jolt back to his senses cus he untangled himself and sat back up,

He furiously wiped his eyes before clearing his throat and leaning back against the wall, "You-"

"Yeah yeah.. "I didn't see anything" right?" I said giving him a small smile,

"Yeah.. yeah that's right," He rubbed his head awkwardly before sighing,

"Do you think I'm overrating?"

I chewed my lip, "about your boyfriend? No. I would probably be the same, haha.."

Kageyama relaxed a slightly but that same mixture of worry and dread still hung over him,

"But what if he's-"

The gym doors where slammed open and sunlight streamed in.

"Kageyama!?"