5: oh, to be happy

Temperance has been to parties back home in Portland. The ones where girls dress in revealing clothing and boys dare each other to get shit-faced on cheap beer. She went with her friends then, feeling uncomfortable alone around horny teenage boys. But this time is different. She doesn't care too much about going alone. After all, Roman would be there if she really needed anything. But she doesn't plan on actually talking to him or even making eye contact if possible. She doesn't care if boys stare at her or try and get in her pants, she's not afraid to make a scene if needed.

Once the sun had begun to set Temperance decides it best to maybe clean herself up a bit. She doesn't feel like changing her clothes, but she does anyways. She avoids anything fancy, deciding on a pair of loose fitting jeans that just barely stay up on her waist and a lacy black top. She does what she always does with her hair, unbrushed in a messy pony tail.

Roman doesn't want to go to this party. But he'd told Temperance to go, so he thought he should be there. He wears a maroon shirt and black jeans, his hair neatly brushed and arrives early to help Luke out with some setting up. Malik has managed to get every alcohol known to man and displays them on the kitchen island. People start arriving at Luke's house around 9:30. Roman stands by the door with a cup in hand, watching kids his age take shots and pass blunts. He wonders if they care about the affect that stuff has on their body or if they just want to seem cool in front of their friends. He watches as girls give him promiscuous looks, to which he does not return.

By the time Temperance leaves the house it's 10 o'clock. She's forced to walk in the cold October air as her grandmother has already started her daily nighttime routine. She forgets a jacket, yet again. But she doesn't care for the cold breeze against her bare skin, she hardly realizes it actually. She had gotten the address from Roman earlier that day and drags her feet on the road. When she arrives at the house there are people everywhere, in the front lawn and sneaking around the side of the house, hanging out of windows and going in and out of the front door. Lights shine through the windows of every room in the house.

She steps towards the house, the gravel driveway uneven under her feet. When she arrives at the grand front door it opens immediately. Roman stands in front of her, making her look like the size of an ant. He looks at her upper body, surprised by how thin her arms actually are, how defined her collar bones are and how he can almost clearly see all of her ribs. Before he can show her that he's slightly worried, he plasters a smirk on his face.

"Surprised you made it." He says. Temperance rolls her eyes.

"Yeah well keep your boner in your pants, I'm only here for the alcohol." She states, pushing past him and into the crowd of people lining the rooms.

Roman stands there for a second, oddly not too shocked that she'd said that to him. He laughs and turns to follow her(not of course without checking to be sure he didn't actually have an erection). He finds her in the kitchen pouring vodka shots with Malik. Something switches in Roman's head. He'd never before been upset with seeing a girl taking shots, but something about seeing Temperance doing it feels wrong. He wants to go over there and stop her, to rip the vodka bottle out of her hands and take her away from this party. He almost winces while she takes her first shot, then her second. When Malik goes to pour her another Roman steps in. Malik stops almost immediately, offering to get her a real drink instead. Temperance accepts and asks for a beer, then turns to Roman.

"Really?" She says, crossing her arms across her chest.

"It's too early for shots."

"Says who."

"Me." Roman states, crouching down to her eye level.

"Oh, I'm so sorry, MOM. I'll be sure to think about the time next time I find myself taking shots."