Chapter Fourteen

"It was work but I got him to agree to show you the house," Malcolm said. I nodded my head and helped the customer behind him. I know this will kill Malcolm if I admit it but when he's not working, there's a much higher percentage of things bought. "You know I was going to order something," Malcolm teased. As the person sat down with their Maple Pecan Cookies, they kept their watchful eye on Malcolm and I. "I'll have white chocolate cranberry cookies." Malcolm licked his lips and gave me the exact change before I even put his order in. "You want anything? I'll pay."

"Thanks," I said as I bought myself one chocolate cream cheese cupcake. I've only ever had this on our menu and I was grateful for Malcolm. "I'll be a minute." Stepping away from the counter and going to the back, I slipped my apron off and punched out. When I came back out, I couldn't find him. "Malcolm?" I hear a groan and rushed to see Malcolm holding his ribs and lying on the ground. "Oh my god! What happened?" I crouched down next to him and he reluctantly turned over. I gasped at his appearance. His mouth has blood running down and his hand was shaking when he handed me his phone. Instantly I punched 911 in. "Hello? I need an ambulance..." As I gave the required information, I could help of think of who did this. It could've been anyone from the streets that saw Malcolm. I looked around but my eyes landed on two cookies on the table. "On my god! Was it the guy who ordered behind you?" Malcolm groaned and I heard the sirens of an ambulance.

"Call Liam."

I nodded my head and dialed his number. Just in time for the ambulance to come in. I pointed to the floor and heard Liam pick up on the other line.

"What time are we meeting up with her?" Liam questioned. Instead of sounding vicious about it, it seemed that he was looking forward to it.

"Change of plans," I said as Malcolm was put on a gurney. "Malcolm's hurt. Come down to the cafe ASAP."

"What happened?" I heard panic in his voice and I felt like crying because I don't know.

"He was attacked."

***

"He'll be here soon," I reassured Malcolm as I grabbed his hand and squeezed. Liam didn't show at the cafe so isn't him the information of what hospital we went to. He hasn't replied and now Malcolm's been worrying that something has happened to him now. "I gave them a description of the guy and they're looking for him. I'm really sorry. I should've been Title watching the shop until the next person came in to do their shift.

"It's fine," Malcolm groaned. "You're here now, that's good enough." Malcolm squeezed my hand like I just did to him a minute ago. "Did they say when I'm getting out?"

"As soon as your parents sign you out." I paused for a moment and looked at his gown. "But you can't do anything big. Just get rest until they heal, okay?" I asked. Malcolm shook his head and managed to smile at me. When a ding came from his phone, I checked it and smiled. "He's here."

Two minutes later, Liam comes through the door and any worry on his face vanishes. He goes up and begins crying. He hasn't touched him yet but soon Liam starts talking jibberish.

"Oh my god! I thought they did damage to your beautiful face." Liam placed his hands on Malcolm's cheeks and began kissing all over his face. "I was so worried. I'm so happy you're okay." Liam gave him a hug and I heard Malcolm yell. Liam recoiled back instantly. "What's wrong?"

"He broke four ribs."

Liam liked at Malcolm and then towards his stomach. "Oh my, I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you. I swear, I didn't know. The only thing I noticed was a little blood on your lip.

"It's fine," Malcolm said. After they jus stood looking at each other and I felt like I was intruding on a personal and private moment.

"I'm gonna go and sit in the lobby." They both nodded their heads as I exited. Waiting in the lobby was not easy. Especially at how people were reacting. Some were crying and very few were smiling. Hospitals always brought bad news. I was stuck in my thoughts when Liam came out of the room and nudged my knee. "Hey, how is he?"

"Fine." Liam seemed quite uncomfortable and looked at everyone in the room. There were at least nine. "Can you come walk with me?" Immediately I nodded my head and knew something was up. I stayed quiet though and waited until he spoke. He turned around and looked at me. "I want you to stay away from Malcolm." As I was about to object, Liam spoke over me. "It's for his own good. Do you want him to get beat up again?"

"He was beat up because he's gay!" I yelled.

"So why am I not beat up?" he asked. When I didn't respond, Liam continued. "Malcolm was beat up because he's your friend! Malcolm told me what the guy was saying as he was being beat up. He doesn't want to stop being your friend but I'm warning you."

"We work together, Liam."

"As far as I remember, when an employee brings bad reputation to the cafe, they get fired. Remember when you told me about Sydney?" he asked. "Exactly. Now stay away." Liam rushed past me and I couldn't help but wonder why someone wouldn't want me to have friends.

I knew hospitals always brought bad news.