Chapter Fifteen

Liam was right. I hate to admit it but he was right. I was fired from the cafe despite Malcolm's protests. When I was asked what happened when I was alone, I told them the truth. They thought that I should've waited to go back until Debra came for her shift. Mainly because a customer could've came in and wanted something while I was in back. I was let go immediately and when k started out the door, I heard Malcolm yell in protest. He couldn't work for a couple of weeks anyway. On the other hand, Liam started working at the library. We don't talk unless Ruth is around because in order for him to be hired, I said he was one of my best friends. Dustin doesn't really work there anymore since his English project so Liam's basically taking his place during it.

I flinched hearing the front door slam closed. I grabbed the ratty blanket and brought it up to my face for comfort. When I heard footsteps coming up thee stairs, I sighed and stood up. I waited patiently in front of my door, just enough not to be hit by it. When the door was opened, I stepped back two steps in reflex.

"What did I tell you about having a closed door?" he asked. I nodded my head in understanding and was surprised when he didn't hit me. "There are people moving in next door so disappear." Again, I nodded my head and realized he was sober. "Then later I'm having people over and we're playing poker. Don't come downstairs." I nodded my head and finally he pulled my hair. "Until then, clean the kitchen." Rushing to keep up with him, the hair felt like it was coming out of my skull. Since he was taller than I was I had trouble keeping up so as we were walking down the stairs, I started stumbling. If you stumble but your body keeps moving, you'll fall. I was dragged down the stairs and thrown in the kitchen. When I tried to stand. I was kicked in the stomach. "Keep your door open."

As he left, I laid on the grimy floor and tried to catch my breath. Taking about two minutes of my time. Crawling on my knees, I looked around for any useful cleaning supplies. Without much luck, I attempted to get the water running but was met with a dry faucet. Just my luck. What did he expect me to clean with? I touched my head and felt a bump forming. I sighed and started picking up some crumbs with my hands or else he'd do something worse to me.

When my hands were filled with tiny dirt specks and invisible crumbs, I opened the back door and threw them out. Being a little nosy, I found myself peeking around the corner to see the new members of the ghetto. From where I was, I couldn't see much so I took two steps out. I couldn't see them but I could hear them talking. From what I could hear, they were quite young and they were dating.

"Let me get that." I heard a shuffling and no doubt a definite shift in who lifted what. "You have to heal. You should be resting those broken ribs." Immediately my eyes went big and I walked down two steps and tried to get a better look. It couldn't be Liam and Malcolm. I refused to believe it until i saw it. "Come on Malcolm, lets take a break and meet our neighbors." The drop of the box was evident and when I saw them from the corner of my eyes, I bolted back in the house.

Even though I was in a rush to get back in the house, I wasn't stupid. I quietly closed the door so only the little click can r heard. As my chest moved rapidly, I stayed still and stared at the door. There was no way they could find out I lived here. Malcolm was saying the neighbors were scums! Plus, if father caught them over, he'll beat me and scare them to death. When my heartbeat calmed downs, I turned around and saw a stranger standing at the sink. Staring at me. Smirking while sipping a beer.

"Where were you?" I stayed frozen as Malcolm's attacked took a step towards me. His beard was disgusting with food trapped in it and his face was grimy with dirt. He finished his beer and threw it to the ground. I stared at it and he smiled. His teeth were uneven with many missing while the ones he had were stained yellow with brown. He stepped closer to me until our noses were basically touching. "I don't think we properly met. I'm one of your fathers friends." I stared at his hand since he tried getting me to shake it/ I resisted and he smiled again. "I'm told you're supposed to be cleaning." His breath teamed and I flinched when he got closer to me. "That didn't look like cleaning," he said, tucking hair behind my ear.

"Get off of me!" I yelled, pushing him away. The fire in his eyes reminded me of father. I instantly started backing up when he came towards me.

He pushed me to the wall and I crouched, trying to get away. He towered over me and hems tightly on my arm. It felt like he was going to break my wrist. "Don't you dare touch me!" he yelled. As he rose his hand to hit me, I closed my eyes for impact. When I opened my yes after ten seconds of no abuse, husband wasn't raised anymore. Instead his eyes looked truly sorry that he almost hit m. Instead he brought his hand up to my face and caressed my cheek. "You're too pretty to hit." As his fingers lingered on my lips, I whipped my head away and snarled back.

"Tell that to father."

He forced me to look at him and he was so close that he was basically siting on me. With one quick swipe, he playfully swatted my cheek. He caressed my lips again and kissed my cheek lightly. I tried to shoulder him bit he had a firm grasp on my arms.

"I like when you play naughty," he purred. As he spoke to my neck, I began shivering. "Tonight you should wear something..." He kissed my neck and I tried to kick him but it didn't effect him. "Tighter." As he began coming up to my lips again, the door bell rang and he stopped. "I better get that, your father is sleeping. Let's not get him angry." With that he got up to sewer the door and I realized...

I owe Liam and Malcolm.