[09] The Heartless

"Snow White's Romeo"

•••

Chapter Nine: The Heartless

"W-Where am I?" Jeongguk groaned when he regained consciousness. Everything around him is rotating as his head aches like it's being hammered. "Young Prince, slow down. Your wound is still fresh." A familiar voice was heard. And as his eyes adjusted to the light around him, he finally saw the face of his saviour.

"G-General Min?" Jeongguk asked, his voice hoarsed as half of his body we're bondaged due to his wound. Min Yoongi courteously nodded at the young prince as Jeongguk took a better look around him.

His eyes widened when he saw he was in his own chamber. He was back in the castle. "W-Where's my father—" As he was about to stand up, his father showed up. The scary and ruthless king of Busan, King Jeon Hyuseok appeared. His father nodded at Yoongi, saying to leave them two alone in his son's chamber. Yoongi looked at Jeongguk for confirmation if he should leave but with Jeongguk's sigh and his little nod, Yoongi went out after bowing to his masters.

"What happened outside, hm, son?" King Hyuseok seized his son, as Jeongguk quickly looked away. "I got pounced by a wild boar." He lied, but his father already knew the reason. He was not dumb to not know. "What an absurd lie, son. It won't work wth me." Hyuseok told as he walked around his son's chamber.

"I have to go back." Jeongguk spoke as his father got pissed. Walking towards his son, he slapped him, hard. "Wake up, son. Here is where you belong." His father angrily scowled, as he clenched his son's collar but Jeongguk still remained calm and collected. "I belong to my lover's arms, father." He boldly spoke, and once again, he was met with a hard slap on the face.

"You are as insolent as ever, Jeongguk. A Jeon? Loving a Kim?" His father sarcastically laughed. "What a joke. You must be insane." Hyuseok added, as Jeongguk clenched his knuckles in anger. "If abandoning Taehyung is the sanest thing for you, then I'd rather be insane."

The tension grew dark between the king and the crown prince of Busan. Jeongguk was still injured and his father is not. No matter how skilled Jeongguk is in swordsmanship or in a hand-to-hand combat, he is no match for his ruthless father. He can only fight him through righteousness and words.

"I didn't grew you to become soft on our enemies, Jeongguk. Don't you know that everyone around us is laughing at your stupid actions?! At us?!  Because you loved that stupid prince from Daegu, our name is now tainted!" Jeongguk took a step back. He didn't expect that the whole kingdom of Busan knew about it. But no matter how the judgement through his heart, he doesn't give two flying fucks about it.

"I love him, King Father."

"Love is foolish! Instead of fixing things, it only makes things worse! Your love for him won't solve the mess you've made. You only bring shame and disgrace to our family, Jeongguk. And you have to pay for your deeds!" His father shouted at him, pointing at him, accusingly. Jeongguk's heart started to ram hard as soon as his father spoke those words.

His father turned around as he walked towards the door, but before he could exit, he left words that'll tremble Jeongguk's world. "In order to save face, you'll be the King of Busan. And I'll make Lalisa Manoban as your Queen." 

"Father! I am not in your control! I refuse to do any of that." Jeongguk proclaimed but his father has already been two steps ahead of him. "Refuse, and I'll get your sick mother beheaded."

"How can you do this to her?! Don't you love her?!"

"I already told you, son. Love is foolish." His father darkly spoke and there he walked out of the room, leaving his son between a huge dilemma.

"N-No..." Deep inside, Jeongguk only want Taehyung to be his one and only queen. He wants no one else but him. It has always been Taehyung. But why is this all happening to them? Why is fate so... heartless?