i. disturbance

TENEMENT BUILDING — sometime after midnight

TENEMENT BUILDING
— sometime after midnight.

  NEON DANCED WITH neon as the lights of the city cascaded down the window of the taxi, leaving but a staple imprint of city life on Odette's cheek. A delicate finger skimmed against a loose strand of hair on her cheek, brushing it behind her beautifully adorned ear, though the earrings had been broken beyond repair. A small, yet distinguishable, sapphire star sat within the earring, glistening back as Bigby couldn't help but stare.

  "Are you sure Mr Toad won't mind me... tagging along?" Odette suddenly questioned, without drawing her eyes from the unusually quiet city.

  "Toad's gonna have to deal with it. Maybe even having someone else around might just help him find his compliance," Bigby responded softly, ensuring he hadn't been too harsh in his response.

  The taxi soon halted parking alongside the worn-down tenement building, decaying with age and neglect. Bigby nodded politely at the driver, thanking him as he held the door open for Odette to scamper out from the vehicle gently. Her long legs angled outward, displaying her firm, and beautiful thighs enveloped in the same skirts the women from the Pudding 'n Pie often sported.

  Her feet, adorned in stilettos, clinked against the dusty concrete, her gentle hand resting within the toughness of Bigby's palm. Each movement of hers had simply been beautiful. Moving as slowly and as freely as a swan on a lake.

  Odette's feet paused ahead of the building, almost intimidated by its decaying appearance. Her hand, plagued by gentle tremors of anxiety and habit, sunk within her small bag, reaching for a cigarette to place between her lips eagerly. A trail of smoke followed behind as she strolled closer, observing as Bigby took his time to contemplate his next move.

  The sheriff took charge, pushing forward with his chest puffed and his chin tilted high with emboldening strength—something Odette could only feign.

  "Toad..." Bigby's voice sounded, low and gravelly to match his topaz eyes that glistened in the dark, pushing out from the plush of shadows.

  "Bigby!" Toad's unmistakable British accent feigned an excitement, spinning around on his heels quickly, only to halt upon noticing Odette, "Listen, mate, I–I know I don't look human, but I like to be meself when I have guests. Guests such as Miss..."

  Odette remained silent.

  Toad cleared his throat, awkwardly moving forward from Odette's uncomfortable silence, "I–it's a problem, I get it. I just stepped out of the apartment for just a second to see what kind of damage this drunk shit is doing! Just cut me a break, yeah? I'll get the glamour first thing in the morning."

  "Look, no harm done... I'll give you a pass, but listen... if you can't afford to look human, you're going to The Farm. It's as simple as that," Bigby responded gruffly, waving his cigarette around for emphasis.