iii. mirror mirror

THE BUSINESS OFFICE,— early morning

— early morning.

SPECKLES OF SUNLIGHT lulled down the windowsill, enchanting the worn and haggard hallways, for the dusty windows had just about been big enough to provide any light at all. Though, the sunbeams could barely be seen through the tsunami of cigarette smoke encompassing the swarm of Fables, desperately seeking help from those titled as their protectors. Those privileged with a tidy life, gift-wrapped in the pages of their stories where their fame and power never ended. Those who take power into their own hands, ultimately decide they know best. Like King Cole.

They had all been princes and princesses at one time or another, so what had made him so kingly and worthy to rule over the populace of fairytale? Especially if he was not going to be an active member of the community, too far away to truly see what had been happening within the borders of Fabletown.

  The King had, indeed, been away for many, many days while they had needed him, leaving nothing but word of mouth to pass around the rumours of his absence. While some had felt the pressure, Odette hadn't. She relished in the idea that their own Mayor couldn't be there to protect them should disaster disturb the Mundy attempt at lavish. He wouldn't be there to inflict his supposed protection, owning them for life. That way, she would simply never have to owe somebody something ever again.

And perhaps, maybe one day, there wouldn't be a town left to inhabit at all—just a field of freedom.

  An all too familiar tale to Bigby Wolf himself. Because of his violent past, of course, many Fables dared not trust the fabled villain, and he had yet to redeem himself in the eyes of the scattered Fabletown few. Floating from injustice to injustice, merely wishing that one would uncover his own case of redemption. Yet failing. Every single time. Despised like vermin.

  Especially by those lined up together like tiny ants, awaiting the sickly honey of Ichabod's misplaced attention at his office. But Bigby simply didn't care. He pushed onward, strolling nonchalantly with a beautiful woman at his side; his chest puffed and ready as he towered over the rows of almost glowing angered eyes.

"What, are ya blind? You can't see there's a line?" Grendel challenged Bigby as they strode past with sheer ignorance. "I been standin' here a half hour already! You get to just walk in? It must be nice bein' the sheriff, doin' whatever the fuck you like."

"I work here," Bigby replied with a slight eye roll, barely acknowledging the disgruntled man.

"Yeah? Well, Odette sure as shit don't. In fact, Odette's skippin' out on her own job, and you're just gonna let her? What great work you do, Sheriff."

Bigby smirked, nodding charmingly at Odette as he stated, "Hm... that didn't feel very genuine."

The wolf then burst through the door, though perhaps not on purpose, but his brute strength had always been lingering behind the attempted soft touches. Odette merely turned her head over her shoulder, flipping the bird high ever so tauntingly at Grendel as he stood behind like a shadow. Alas, she couldn't have cared less if she had tried with all her might.