Chapter 1: Keys

December 31st 1999

22:30 

          "Do you have any questions on the brief, Ooze?" 1900, or Dre, asked. His voice booming loudly in the auditorium. Ooze nodded once. They had been training for this for aeons. It was finally their time to shine as the new key-holder for the century.
          "You have been a good student, 2000," 1950 said glancing at the huge clock behind Ooze. It was wooden and old and stood there since forever. Few remembered a time before the clock's ticking filled the huge auditorium. And now with the switch of the board, no one would know a time before it.

          The board room or auditorium or senate room (call it whatever you want), was possibly the most intimidating room in the building. With one-hundred seats exactly, spreading from one end to another. Each seat, belonging to one year. They appeared from one of the three side doors and they were seated there waiting for their time to take control over the earth. Some chose to hang out in the other rooms of the building- a lounging area per say, some were excitedly watching the year in control and the events they wrote in for earth. Some ambitiously took control of the writing, like 1980. Some scared, like 1940. But all of them had each other's backs. All of them gave advice and all of them helped train the new key holder to the auditorium.

Before that was 1900.

Now it was Ooze, or formally known as 2000.

          "It's almost time, sir," 1997 said from his spot between 1999's empty seat and 1998. His seat was decorated with sparkly cloth and adorned with some flags of his personal favourite countries. While his year was fairly uneventful, he really took the cake on the mainstream art department. Titanic was a global hit and the sales of Harry Potter were rising. Everyone, even Ooze, watched as he quietly killed the beloved Princess Diana. They all turned to look at him angrily, disappointed. He shrugged, trying to brush it off as the plot twist that everyone needed. "It'll shake the world. This year will go down in history," 1997 said. Everyone knew that he drunkenly pressed the button by mistake and was scrambling to fix it.

December 31st 1999
23:30

1999, exited the control room. "Daymn, I forgot how scary you all look from down here," she said walking closer to Ooze, "Ready buddy?" she asked. Ooze nodded. They felt sick but they were determined to not only give a great year to the people but put the foundations to a new millennium.

1999, held the keys high up, "I am not leaving until you are done with the year," she said, "Not like these old weirdoes," she joked quietly.

          "You know, we can all hear you, right?" 1960 said.

          "Yeah, keep talking, Vietnam War," said 1999, rolling her eyes before turning to Ooze again, "Here's the keys. Just walk right in the control room. I will have my headset, just in case you need anything and I'll be watching."

          "Now I feel better," Ooze joked shaking their head.

           "I have the pre-sets in there for the night so you don't have to do anything. You put the key in the control panel at midnight like you trained. You can find the-"

          "-the instructions under the panel. I know," said Ooze. 1999 grinned and turned to the rest fo the years.

          "See, I told you all this guy got it," she said, "Good luck and I'll see you in a year."

She sprinted up to her sit and high-fived 1998.

          Ooze looked behind him one last time. 1900 gave him a nod.

          "We hereby close another millennium, another decade, another year. We give control to the 2000s just like the 1800s gave control to us. Let us rest," said 1900s behind Ooze. They walked in the control panel, the door closed behind them just as the sound of 1900s hammer hit sounded the beginning of a new millennium. A new senate.

January 1st 2000
00:00

Let the 2000s begin.