Chapter 2: The Roaring 20s

December 31st 2019
22:00

          "I tried my best," 2018 yelled, slamming her hand on the table. The coffee mugs shook. The years who weren't paying attention turned to face them, "I had to work with the mess Sev left me with. Like any of you could do any better than that."

2017, or Sev, gripped her hands around her mug, "You are talking big game for someone who put Syria in an even worse position. Oh and don't get me started on everything going in Yemen!"

          "I want to see you try. Brexit? The Chinese concentration camps? I thought we agreed to keep Hitlerisms in the past. But no. We all know what you are trying to do," Aight said, "History repeats itself," she mocked, "A mess. That's what you created."

          "2019 is in there struggling because of you!"

          "Stop it! Stop it you two! We agreed on no more finger-pointing," 2008, said from their seat. Hayght got up from the armchair and put the book they were reading down. "2019, did the best they could to save this mess of a decade.  I don't know if this was what you all wanted but congratulations, the last four years will go down in history," they said calmly after everyone stopped what they were doing to look at them.

          "Let's just say we are all glad it's ending," 2007 piped in.

          "At this rate these people wish that the wild Mayian story would come true," 2010 added glancing at 2012. Elve sunk into their chair even more. Everyone expected too much form Elve.

100 years since some of the most catastrophic events of history.

A Mayian prophesy made way too many people on earth to prepare for doomsday. Even people who knew all this was just stories held their breath when 2012 rolled around.

Only for Elve, not only to give an eventless year but to also be known and joked as "The Year of The Failed Prophecy". Some years even insisted of calling them that.

          "At least Prophecy over there didn't start a whole war in the middle east." Everyone turned to look at 2001.

          "Well glad to see absolutely nothing has changed since I last saw you all," 2019 said, standing at the doorway.

          "2019... where is 2020?" 2005 asked quietly.

          2019 laughed as she flopped on the sofa besides 2003, "You really thought Mr golden decade would wait around for you all to argue?" she asked stealing a drink for the table. She smelled it and decided to down it.

          "Hey!" 2018 yelled, "My drink!" 

         "Oh right, could be laced with tide pods," 2019 rolled her eyes, "And by the way, you're welcome for dropping stupid challenges. TikTok is keeping kids busy and if 2020 plays his cards right the American will vote out the weirdo," 2019 stared at 2017 who looked away. "2020 is an ambitious kid. I left him the manual and I am sure he will do great. I even planted that virus in China. Should keep them out of everyone's business for a bit so 2020 can give these people a clear start of the decade."

January 1st  2020
00:00

The room turned blue, signaling the beginning of a new era. Signalig that a new year has turned the key and logged in as the writer of the forthcoming year.

          Elve watched, from the back of the room, the screen. They put their phone down, something that didn't happen often and watched. Their hands tugging on the pins on their jacket.

Clipping and unclipping them.

The colour returned back to normal and the years cheered at the beginning of a new year. 2019 retold them stories and all the different experiences she had.

          "These people are unbelievable. I am telling you, we can write as many events as we want but they truly just control everything- fascinating," she said.

          Elve watched the screens. On the top, what was happening on earth. On the bottom, the control room, including 2020. A smug grin spread across his face as watched the sun rise across New Zealand.

Let the Roaring 20s begin once again.