Chapter 12

"How do you spell love? "
"You don't spell it, you feel it. "
Winnie the Pooh, A. A. Milne.
----------------------------------------------

Though the people seemed to hate Hasnaa they appeared at the gathering organized at the Williams family in large quantities. The dinner given at the house was grand and no expense was spared, and Hasnaa could not help but worry about such matters being a reason for the  people to hate her more.

The Williams family was determined to celebrate the wedding of the younger Lord Williams and his wife properly despite their hate for her. Appearances were more important to them.They had sent out letters to their relatives who lived far before the wedding and a number of them went out of their way to ensure they were present for the dinner and the wedding ceremony.

James had earlier expressed his desire to see his younger brother who had been disowned to Hasnaa. James hoped that his father had sent an invite to his brother. But during the weeks Hasnaa had known Lord Williams she knew he was a man who stayed true to his word and hardly changed his mind. And she knew she wouldn't be seen James' brother, who she knew nothing about, never heard his name and the family hardly spoke of him.

James kept a guiding hand on Hasnaa's back the all-time they were standing and conversing with their guests. He ensured he did not leave her alone for he was aware of how cruel the village people could be. Hasnaa felt secure and knew things were under control due to James' presence.

"Thank goodness you did not marry Lady Iris," A slender girl, who by the looks of it was a few years older than Hasnaa, said as she approached James and Hasnaa. The girl was accompanied by a man.

Lady Iris.

James never mentioned ever being engaged to a lady Iris.

"She's better than that brute lady," the girl continued ignoring the shocked look on Hasnaa's face, "I never understood why father grew a liking for a lady of her kind." The girl said turning her attention to James.

"How are you feeling Hasnaa?"

"I hope I got her name right." She said to James.

Hasnaa remained still, quite taken aback by the lady Iris information and the fact that James had another sister and she did not know. The girl's features resembled Lady Magdalena's features, unlike Lady Eliza who looked nothing like her mother.
Her dark brown hair was secured in a neat bun, her eyes were also brown but more of a light brown. Her all demeanor radiated happiness. But the man next to her had not uttered a single word.

She did not have more than ten seconds to compose herself when she heard James speak, "It's her wedding, she ought to be happy, Carissa."

Hasnaa was thankful James answered on her behalf because, despite the happiness she felt, it was nerve-racking for her to meet the people present at the dinner. "Hasnaa," Lady Carissa prompted bringing her out of her thoughts.

"I am Carissa and this is my husband Harry Flair." Lady Carissa said smiling at her.Her husband did not seem to like Hasnaa and he only gave her a forced smile. His reaction did not seem to bother Hasnaa, she had come to terms with rejection during the cause of her stay in London. All of James' siblings had accepted her as one of them save their spouses.

"Shall we move to the dining table?" Lady Magdalena said and as she turned on her heel to walk towards the dining table she gave Hasnaa a look of contempt which she was used to.

"Don't worry you will get used to her, just like Meredith got used to her. Mother despised her now she does not. It takes time but it will happen." Carissa whispered in Hasnaa's ear. Her comment had meant to put her at solace but it did the opposite, in reminding her of the work that was cut out for her. Meredith, Lord Henry's wife, was not a person of color, and yet Lady Magdalena never accepted her even after years of Meredith's marriage to Henry.