chapter three

Although he tried discrete about it, the captain watched as the red-haired padawan left the mess-hall. Something about the way she acted around clones intrigued him. He hadn't noticed her presence, which was very unlike him. Being observant was one of his strong suits, so it was a testament to how well she fit in with them. Also, she had remembered his name after so long. He felt a pang of guilt he couldn't remember her name until Jesse had mentioned it. Varrs. I won't forget it again.

Echo seemed to notice Rex's silence, "So, what do you think of the Commander?"

Rex shrugged, not phased how the table went silent when he spoke, "Commander Varrs seems to know clones very well, especially since she slipped past my detection. She'll make a good general to her men."

Tup smirked, "I just hope she gets assigned with us. I like her."

"I second that. We need a girl aboard the ship." Hardcase joked.

Ahsoka raised an eyebrow, "I'm guessing I don't count?"

The table laughed as Hardcase tried to stutter his way out of the hole he had dug. Kix rolled his eyes, "Someone hand him a shovel already."

Rex smiled at their banter, "No, I'm enjoying this far too much."

With that, the topic was dropped as Fives recounted a specific encounter with one of his ARC trainers, standing to his feet to imitate him.

•••

Meanwhile, the bridge was more active than it had been earlier when she returned. Officers rushed around, a few orders were barked out, and anticipation hung in the air. Seren watched in awe as the ship gently pulled out of lightspeed, displaying the beautiful center of the galaxy, Coruscant. It was just as bright as when she had left it behind all that time ago. She began to imagine what could be waiting for her down there.

I'll get to see the Force-Tree where I used to study, the terraces where I would practice my lightsaber skills with Shaak-Ti and Cin Dralig, and the Council Room. It'll be like I never left.

However, her imagination didn't include the military occupation of clone troopers, the tightened security, and protocol that proceeded even entering the Temple itself. It pained Seren to see her home in such a fragile state, "How long has it been like this?"

Anakin sighed, "Since after you left. Unfortunately, as our capital, this planet has seen multiple terrorist attacks by the Separatists, especially near the Senate buildings. I forget that information doesn't get to Kamino as quickly, so there is a lot to bring you up to speed on, but I know you'll be able to handle it." He gave her a wink before entering the Temple.

Seren grinned at how much the Temple had remained the same despite the many changes the Clone Wars had brought so far. She reached out to brush her hand across the smooth stone of a pillar and relished in the fact that she was finally home again. Ahsoka chuckled, "I guess it really is a whole new experience to come back after so long on the field."

Seren agreed, "It's as if I'm seeing it for the first time all over again."

Anakin called them back over to his position, "Come on you two, the Council is waiting."

Instantly, Seren became hyper aware of her clothing. Her traditional Jedi cloaks were back on Kamino where she had left them. Blast. Instead, she wore her tan tunic that resembled the shifting sands of the galaxy's various desert planets with a brown belt and matching boots. She attempted to straighten up as much as she could and thought to herself, This will have to do.

With a deep breath, she followed Anakin and Ahsoka into the room. Her focus immediately went to the new faces of the Council. She saw Obi-Wan and Kit Fisto, who were only Jedi Knights when she was reassigned. She noticed the holograms of a couple members including her own master and Adi Gallia. Her heart leapt for joy at the sight. This is it, the moment I have been waiting my whole life for.

Master Mace Windu rose to his feet, calling the meeting to order, "Padawan Varrs, you have shown the Council that you are ready for the next chapter in your life as a Jedi. The Council has agreed the your time on Kamino served as your Great Trial. You showed great skill and courage during the attack on the Kamino facility. Both Master Shaak-Ti and a notable amount of other clones can confirm that the injuries your sustained during the battle were severe, but rather than allowing them to be a weakness, you persevered, leading your squad to victory and purging the droids from the facility."

Seren winced at the mention of the Battle of Kamino. So many clone troopers lost their lives that day. If only I had more battle experience, maybe I could have saved more men.

"However, that leaves two of the five Jedi Trials to be completed. The Trial of Spirit and the Trial of Insight. Since you have been off-planet for an extended period of time, we will administer them here on Coruscant. Your first trial will be the Trial of Spirit. Master Kenobi will elaborate on the specific challenge."

Mace sat in his seat, allowing Master Obi-Wan Kenobi to have the floor, "Young Varrs, this challenge is unlike the others you have succeeded in so far. In this trial, you will have to face an internal quest between you and the Force." He glanced to Anakin and Ahsoka before continuing, "Your trial will commence in the lower levels of the Temple, known to be strong with both sides of the Force. Go as far down as you can. There, you will find your quest. Go, and may the Force be with you."

Seren nodded in respect before turning to leave. Both Anakin and Ahsoka accompanied her as she walked out of the Council Room. Together, they walked down the long corridors of the Temple until Seren finally asked, "Has anyone been down to the lower levels of the Temple before? I thought they were forbidden?"

Ahsoka nodded, not answering the first question, "They are. So why would the Council send you down to them?"

Anakin shot a warning glance at his padawan, "Ahsoka, we are here to guide Seren to the entrance, not question the Council." When they stopped at the dead-end of the corridor, Anakin began to instruct Seren, "Once you cross over, you will be on your own. We cannot help you. This challenge is yours alone to face, and we have complete faith in you. Remember your training."

The red-haired padawan turned to thank the Jedi Knight, "Thank you, Anakin. I will keep that in mind-," but she was met with only an empty corridor. She spun on her heel, looking for where they possibly could have gone, but only a single, dimly lit entryway appeared before her where the dead-end once was. This must be it. Force help me.