chapter nine

From the bridge of the Resolute Captain Rex decided that war was beautifully tragic. The explosions of starfighters littered the sky with colorful, yet fatal, fireworks. Each firework meant the demise of either a droid or fellow brother, but from this far, it was hard to tell which was which. He had started to keep track of each burst of color, but lost track as he noticed the squad of droids hammering the starboard deflectors. He spun on his heel as Admiral Yularen barked orders at the crew. "Captain Rex, we have lost contact with General Varrs and her ship, see if you can get find a way to re-establish contact as soon as possible." He pulled on his helmet and rushed over to the communications table, desperately attempting to get a signal through.

Ahsoka was beside him in an instant, using the holotable as a way to contact the cruiser to their left. However, when the screams yelled out, they both popped their heads around the corner just in time to see a single starfighter take out the secondary bridge. Ahsoka snarled beside him, "Ventress."

The sight of the flaming tower beside them sent a shiver up his spine as he reluctantly returned to the holotable, flipping through the emergency channels to locate a way to contact General Varrs or Commander Cody. Cody. He flipped to a specific channel that they've used several times to communicate when situations like this arose. He looked up and Ahsoka and nodded. She returned the gesture before speaking, "General Varrs? Commander Cody? Can you read me?" She looked at Rex worriedly. "General Varrs? Commander Cody can you-"

"Loud and clear Commander Tano," the reply was scratchy, but undeniable.

Rex stood to his feet and asked, "Cody, what's the state of your communications?"

This time it was Seren who responded, "Captain, our comms are down after taking a direct hit to our comms tower. We lost contact with General Kenobi as well. Cody was lucky to have this single channel open on his vambrace comm."

Ahsoka smiled in relief of hearing Seren's voice over the transmission, "Lucky is an understatement. As for us, we lost our secondary bridge and lost contact with Anakin too. We believe they crash landed into the hangar aboard Ventress's flagship, but it is hard to know for certain."

There was a pause of silence before Cody answered, "Our communications should be repaired before the Jedi return, but until then, we are in the dark just as much as you are."

The floor shook as the ship took another direct hit. Rex struggled to keep his balance as he saw another squad of droid starfighters make a sweep. The hit cut off the transmission, leaving both cruisers completely in the dark. He looked out the window to the cruiser to his left and whispered under his breath as if it were a prayer, "Hang on."

•••

Seren sucked in a sharp breath when the transmission was suddenly cut off. She took one look at their ship and watched as they took a direct hit from a droid squadron. She curled her fists in frustration, but quickly released them when she remembered she was out of control here.

Cody watched Seren closely, noticing key differences between her and his general, Kenobi. It was clear that she lacked the same poise and sense of calm the he often projected as she lightly paced, but she was more openly empathetic and caring than him. When the first barrage of explosions had hit the hull, shaking the ship, she had immediately rushed to the aid of a trooper that had fallen and sliced his hand, telling him that it would be alright and to get his wound checked immediately. Then, she had been by his own side in a moment, asking if he was alright and what their next action should be. It had honestly caught him off guard.

Seren began to pace lightly once more, stopping only to look out the window to see the starships zooming overhead. She thought through every possible scenario she could conceive of a way around this fleet, but each one ended up with her having to choose between Ahsoka's ship and her own, which she wasn't keen of, especially when it would cost more than just her own life, but also the lives of hundreds of soldiers on board. Frustrated, she pulled at the ends of her hair, reminding herself of what was at stake here. Below is is a planet that desperately needs our help, but we are caught in a battle that neither side seems to be winning. We have no communications, no sign of either Skywalker or Kenobi, and now, I have to find a way to get us out of this batt-

She was lost in thought until a clone called out, "General, look! They are retreating!"

She wasted no time in glancing out the window at the fleeing Separatist ships. Shocked by this outcome, she sent Cody a skeptical look. This makes no sense. They have the advantage. Why are they retreating? That's when she noticed the two remaining capital ships: Ventress's flagship and a single cruiser. Just when Seren thought that the battle was over, she saw the cruiser open fire on Ventress's ship. Her mind raced with reasons as to why the Separatists would destroy one of their own capital ships. She was speechless.

For a moment, everything stopped. All noise was silenced as each and every trooper paused to watch the flagship burst into flames and explode. Instantly, she closed her eyes and began to search for either Jedi's Force Signature. A few moments passed without any sign, but she couldn't let herself believe they were gone. Force, help me.

When the familiar presence of her childhood friend and his former master washed over her, she let out a long breath, "They're alive. They made it." She opened her green eyes and glanced over to the Republic Venator to her right. Hold on. We're almost out of this. Just hold on a little longer.