63: Blood is thicker than water

The day before the match, the winds reached howling point andthe rain fell harder than ever. It was so dark inside the corridors andclassrooms that extra torches and lanterns were lit. The Slytherinteam was looking very smug indeed, and none more so than Draco.

 "Ah, if only my arm was feeling a bit better!" he sighed as thegale outside pounded the windows. 

I rolled my eyes "grow up" I laughed.

We also had a surprise in Defense against the Dark arts, Snape was teaching. "Good afternoon professor" I said "where is Professor Lupin?"

"He says he is feeling too ill to teach today," said Snape with atwisted smile. 

Before I could question further Snape continued "Lupin, has not left any record of what you have covered--"

Harry chose that moment to skid to a halt outside the Defense Against the DarkArts classroom, pulled the door open, and dashed inside. 

"Sorry I'm late, Professor Lupin, I —" 

"This lesson began ten minutes ago, Potter," said Snape "so I think we'll makeit ten points from Gryffindor. Sit down."

 But Harry didn't move. 

"Where's Professor Lupin?" he said.

 "He says he is feeling too ill to teach today," Snape repeated. "I believe I told you to sit down?" 

But Harry stayed where he was.

 "What's wrong with him?" he asked, asking the question I was about to.

Snape's black eyes glittered."Nothing life-threatening," he said, looking as though hewished it were. "Five more points from Gryffindor, and if I have toask you to sit down again, it will be fifty." 

Harry walked slowly to his seat and sat down. Snape lookedaround at the class. 

"As I was saying before Potter interrupted," Slytherins snickered "Professor Lupin hasnot left any record of the topics you have covered so far —" 

"Please, sir, we've done boggarts, Red Caps, kappas, and grindylows," said Hermione quickly, "and we're just about to start —" 

"Be quiet," said Snape coldly. "I did not ask for information.I was merely commenting on Professor Lupin's lack of organization." 

"He's the best Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher we've everhad," said Dean Thomas boldly, and there was a murmur of agreement, even from us.

Snape looked more menacing thanever. 

"You are easily satisfied. Lupin is hardly overtaxing you — Iwould expect first years to be able to deal with Red Caps andgrindylows. Today we shall discuss —" 

I watched him flick through the textbook, to the very backchapter, which he must know we hadn't covered."— werewolves," said Snape.

 "But, sir," said Hermione, seemingly unable to restrain herself,"we're not supposed to do werewolves yet, we're due to start hinkypunks —"

 "Miss Granger," said Snape in a voice of deadly calm, "I was under the impression that I am teaching this lesson, not you. And Iam telling you all to turn to page 394." 

He glanced around again."All of you! Now!"

 With many bitter sidelong looks and some sullen muttering, theclass opened our books. 

"Which of you can tell me how we distinguish between thewerewolf and the true wolf?" said Snape.

 Everyone sat in motionless silence; everyone except Hermione,whose hand, as it so often did, had shot straight into the air."Anyone?" Snape said, ignoring Hermione. His twisted smilewas back. "Are you telling me that Professor Lupin hasn't eventaught you the basic distinction between —"