The Beginning Of The End

One such hard day, we had gone out for our daily patrol. James was driving while I was riding shotgun. The boys in the back were playing our very own modified version of truth and dare. We were having a great time until the world had to screw us over.

James had looked back to see who was on the turn when our patrol hummer drove over a mine. The hummer was protected but the impact of the blast tipped it over. All of them were upside down. As I opened my eyes, I called out to check if everyone was okay or not. I got four callbacks. As I cut myself down from the seat, I saw James. His head snapped. My eyes watered up. But I could not stay. I pulled his dog tag and crawled out of the hummer. The five of us managed to make it out alive with minor injuries. But that was not the end. As soon as we stood up, we were barraged by bullets from the building in front of us. It was an ambush. We quickly ran inside a building and took cover. We were armed and ready to fight. Max, our sniper, managed to take out three of the attackers from behind a concrete table. The other 4 of us advanced to the second floor to get a better view of where the enemy was. From there we killed more than a dozen men. But there were still a few dozen left. I realized; this was not an ambush. This was their camp. Stein, Clark, and Drae went near the window that overlooked the camp. People were running here and there, alerted. I was about to join them when I heard crying coming through the window beside me. I peeked over and saw a small boy, maybe 9-10 years old, crying all alone in the building beside ours. I told Stein to take charge for a min while I go and get that kid to safety. As I went outside, I was instantly barraged by the snipers at the enemy camp. Stein covered me so I was able to enter the building. I went to the boy and saw that he had a huge cut on his left arm. I took out the bandage and did a quick first aid action. He was hesitant at first but then he cooperated. But he was too afraid to leave.

"Listen, take this..." I gave him my dog tag "and run as fast as you can. I will come and find you and I want you to return it to me. Ok?"

He just nodded and ran off. I got up and started to go toward our building when I saw a mortar shell coming towards the building.

"GET OUT!!!!!!!!!!!...." I shouted before a huge bang followed by a cloud of smoke. The next thing I remember is being carried by some guy from another platoon to the medic tent.