Four

This week has been hell.

Usually the first week of school is smooth sailing, but by Friday I'm exhausted. Though the majority of students here got in by simply paying the tuition rather than based on actual test scores, a certain expectation is still held for our academics. It’s only been a week but the teachers here have wasted no time cracking down on the lesson plans. I’ve already taken two tests, which luckily I have passed.

I’m just grateful it’s finally the weekend.
Side by side with Kelly, I exit the school and am met with yet another blistering hot day. Since the first day, Kelly’s kindness hasn’t faltered one bit as she has checked multiple times a day to make sure I’m getting along well enough here. I only smile as she asks yet again how my day has gone, but quickly she’s distracted by a small blue Toyota pulling up to the side walk. I recognize the car too as her boyfriend, Issac’s.

On Wednesday, she giddily introduced us when he picked her up in the same spot, sure that we would hit it off. Issac graduated early last summer and has been attending his first year of university. His quiet intelligence pairs perfectly with Kelly’s wholesome being.

She holds up a finger to Issac, telling him to wait, and directs her attention back to me. There’s worry in her eyes.
“Kelly,” I smile again, endearingly. “I”m fine. It was a good day and I can make it to the car by myself. Go.”

Though she shifts uncomfortably, not sure if she trusts that I’m doing well, she nods and pats my arm. I laugh and wave as she dips into Issacs car, and heads to the road.
Making my way through the parking lot, I quickly find my car and am not surprised to see Louis leaning against it for the fifth school day.

Rolling my eyes, I ask, “So this is going to be an everyday thing?”

“Maybe. If you’re lucky,” Louis winks. “Like if I don’t get bored of you.”

Letting out a muffled laugh, I tilt my head to the side. I’m still trying to learn this kid's sense of humor, and I’m comforted when he laughs along too.

“So you’re still coming tonight right?”
I take a moment to go back over the last few days in my mind, ultimately coming up blank. Did we have plans? I’m almost embarrassed to ask, “Tonight?”

“Beck’s party, remember?” 

Again I’m at a loss. Beck? Did I meet someone named Beck? Suddenly, I remember the conversation in the 2nd period the first day. Jake Beckerman invited us all to his house tonight.

Beckerman. Beck.

I shake my head at the confusion from the nickname, as I kick a pebble with the toe of my boot. “I uh— I don’t really know yet.” My words stumble out and I worry that Louis may be able to hear the discomfort in them. Jake and I hadn’t talked much, except for him informing me of Louis’ extracurricular activities. What if he doesn’t really want me to come? In all reality, he hadn’t asked me to come. It was Louis who had extended the invitation.

“I’ll get back to you on that.”

“C’mon Styles,” his words almost sound like a beg, and I can already feel myself wanting to agree when he says, “You can get ready at mine. I really want you there.”

I scratch the back of my neck, debating how to answer. Although I may not really know all these people yet, I’m still standing face to face with probably the most popular guy here, and I’m hit with a realization. 

If I can get in good with him, I’m set for the year. I can fly under the radar for the nine months until graduation, and then it’s smooth sailing on my way back to England.
Two seconds before I say yes, I glance back to Louis and see his lip jutted out, begging me, and suddenly, there’s a knot in my throat.