Chapter twelve

Leo hadn't meant it the way Persephone had taken it.

What he meant was, he couldn't lose another person due to his mistakes. He shouldn't be responsible for Persephone's life, he'd mess up. Piper should help her. Or Jason. Definitely not Leo.

Internally he was kicking himself, he should have worded it better.

"Why don't you get some sleep?" Piper said to him. "You were up all night."

He wanted to protest, but the word sleep sounded really good. "You won't let me fall off?"

"Trust me Valdez. Beautiful people never lie." She patted his shoulder. "Oh, and don't worry too much about Persephone, she won't hold a grudge."

"Right." He muttered. He leaned forward against the warm bronze of the dragon's neck and closed his eyes.

Persephone's dreamless sleep was interrupted after what felt like minutes. Piper shook her and Leo awake gently. It was close to sunset, Persephone noted.

"We're here." the daughter of Aphrodite said softly.

The city below them was covered in snow. However, the warm lights from the buildings made the place look surprisingly beautiful. It seemed old, like there should be a castle right in the centre- oh. To her surprise, there was an actual castle-looking building, the huge walls red bricked and a square tower with a peaked, green gabled roof.

"Tell me that's Quebec and not Santa's workshop." Leo said.

"Coming from one of Santa's elves." Persephone whispered to him, smirking. He shoved her off his shoulder, making her laugh to herself.

"Yeah, Quebec City." Piper confirmed. "One of the oldest cities in North America. Founded around sixteen hundred, or so."

"Wow Piper, you been holding out on us? Why didn't you tell us you were this smart?" Persephone remarked, grinning at the girl behind her, who flushed.

"Your dad do a movie about that, too?" Leo added, brow raised. Piper made a face at the boy, though paired with her mother's blessing, she still looked amazing.

"I read sometimes, okay? Just because Aphrodite claimed me doesn't mean I have to be an airhead."

"Maybe you should tell your cabin that."

"Believe me, I tried." Piper whispered to her friend. Persephone shot her a sympathetic look.

"Since you know so much." Leo began. "What's that castle?"

"A hotel I think."

"You're kidding." Persephone's mouth dropped open, leaning forward to squint at the so-called hotel. Businesspersons bustled in and out of the main entrance, handing their keys over to valets. She faintly heard Leo comment on something, but her eyes were focused on two little figures, which seemed to be growing larger... or getting closer.

"Heads up, guys." Jason interrupted. "We've got company."

Once she got a closer look, Persephone decided these guys weren't friendly. Festus seemed to come to that conclusion soon enough, readying himself to torch the guys. Leo calmed him before that problem occurred.

"I don't like this," Jason said. "They look like storm spirits."

Persephone had to agree, however there were a few noticeable differences. For one, these guys were more physical and less... made out of a storm cloud than the storm spirits were. Their wings were purple and feathered and their hair an icy white. What unnerved Persephone were the jagged bronze swords they carried with them.