Chapter fourteen

Persephone stumbled to her feet, shuffling over to where Leo stood, his complete attention on her. She stopped, next to him, massaging her shoulder, rolling the joint.

"Are you okay?" He asked her quietly, glancing at the two Boreads talking to their blonde friend. She nodded, replacing her ring on her finger.

"Yeah, my self-esteem took a hit though." She grumbled. The boy next to her laughed silently, then his face turned serious. He opened his mouth to speak.

"So, destroy?" Cal interrupted whatever Leo was going to say, the latter watching as Persephone's gaze hardened again, fingers moving to her other hand, circling her ring.

"No," Zethes said, regretfully. "If he is a son of Zeus, he could be the one we've been watching for."

"Watching for?" Leo asked, trying to hide his annoyance. "You mean like in a good way: you'll shower him with fabulous prizes? Or watching for like in a bad way: he's in trouble?"

A girl's voice said, "That depends on my father's will."

Startled by the voice, Persephone's gaze landed on the staircase; seeing a girl stood at the top, a white silk dress flowing down her. She was almost the colour of the snowy room they all stood in, her hair black and eyes brown. She looked like a harsher version of Snow White, as Persephone saw no warmth in her eyes, only cold cruelness. Persephone watched Leo's mouth fall open at the sight of her, rolling her eyes at his naïve mindset.

Boys.

The girl's gaze turned on Persephone, lip twitching slightly. Persephone made sure she glared back, twice as harsh as what she'd been giving Zethes and Cal. This girl rubbed her the wrong way. The girl seemed only to sigh in boredom, though her eyes held petty amusement. Persephone growled. You'd think being a child of Hades, she could actually have the power of 'a death stare', and it would actually do what it says... though no such luck.

The gaze turned to Jason and Piper. "Father will want to see the one called Jason."

"Then it is him?" Zethes asked excitedly.

"We'll see," She said. "Zethes, bring our guests."

Leo grabbed the handle of the Festus-case and made a step forward. Persephone hesitated, not wanting to go anywhere near the girl.

"Not you, Leo Valdez."

'She knows his name.' Persephone thought.

"Nor you Persephone Rose, you have offended us enough in our own home, and as much as I would love to see my father kill you, we have more important things to discuss. Your death shall not be so quick or merciful as my father would give."

'Well isn't she lovely...'

"Why can't I come?" Leo whined.

"You cannot be in the presence of my father." She said. "Fire and ice- it would not be wise."

"We're going together," Jason insisted, putting his hand on Leo's shoulder, and stopping Persephone from summoning her sword, making her drop her hand. "Or not at all."

The girl tilted her head, almost like she hadn't expected Jason to say no to her. "They will not be harmed here, Jason Grace, unless you make trouble. Calais keep those two here. Guard them, but do not kill them."

Cal pouted, "Just a little?"

"No," The girl insisted. "And take care of their interesting suitcase, until father passes judgement."

Jason and Piper looked at the two across from them, asking a silent question with their eyes. Persephone definitely didn't want to follow the girl, didn't trust her at all. She knew if they refused, they wouldn't get an audience with Boreas, and would likely be, as Cal put it, 'Destroyed.'

"It's fine, guys." Leo said. "No sense causing trouble if we don't have to. You go ahead."

"Listen to your friend," The pale girl said. "They will be perfectly safe. I wish I could say the same for you, son of Zeus. Now come, king Boreas is waiting."

As soon as the four left, Cal turned to Leo and Persephone, observing them.

"So, what's up with destroying things, big guy?" Leo asked, trying to break the silence. Persephone face palmed.

"Fire boy, not funny." Leo looked entirely offended.

"Sit down, Valdez, this guy won't hesitate to run his sword through you." Persephone said, slumping down against a wall, watching them both.

"I'm funny! Persephone tell him I'm funny." He ordered, arms crossed, glaring at the Boread twice his size, if not more. "Persephone?" He turned to her, seeing her smirking.

"You have your moments."

His expression was a picture. Mouth dropped open, eyes wide, trying to make coherent words form in his mouth. He gave up and grumbled to himself, stomping over to the suitcase and overstepping, stumbling over the bronze case.

Persephone laughter shrieked through the room, the grunts of Cal joining in seconds later, once he realised what happened. Festus' case hadn't moved, meaning the poor boy had fallen over it and landed on the other size, head now peaking up over it, where he rubbed his forehead.

"Fire boy is funny." Cal said. Leo huffed, slumping against the suitcase, facing away from Persephone and Cal.

The girl laughed to herself, standing up and walking over to the embarrassed boy. She sat down beside him, nudging his arm with her elbow, facing forward. He glanced at her, seeing her playful grin on her side profile. Without meaning to, he started to smile with her, until he finally let out a small laugh, grinning that mischievous grin of his.

"Y'know," He began. "You were really scary back there." She furrowed her brows, turning to him, confused. "When you went up against Cal and Zethes. Terrifying; completely awesome, but terrifying. Remind me to never get on your bad side."

"Okay, don't get on my bad side, Valdez." She grinned. He mirrored her expression. She sniffed. "Hey, Cal?" She called. The Boread looked at her. "Do you have a place we can wash up? Repair boy here needs a shower."

"Look, when you've been fixing a dragon all night then you're not exactly going to smell great." The boy defended. "And repair boy? How many nicknames are you going to give me?"

"As many as I can, Simba."

"Simba! How does that even make sense?"

"Your curls remind me of a lion." Persephone said simply, the boy beside her rolled his eyes and stood up.

"Come on, big guy, show me where the showers are."