14. Draco

Most students had already finished their breakfasts by the time Draco ambled into the Great Hall the next morning. He'd known she wouldn't be there, but his eyes scanned the enormous room for Hermione anyways. He wasn't sure what bothered him more; the fact he was so quick to notice her absence, or the fact that the Gryffindor table seemed so unaffected by it. Potter and the two Weasley's tittered naturally over an unheard joke, and Longbottom was currently distracted by the blonde intruder in their midst, her Ravenclaw robes clashing in the sea of red and gold.

Was he really the only one concerned of her whereabouts?

He scoffed internally. It wasn't concern, merely curiosity.

"We were wondering if you'd ever show," Theo teased as Draco took the seat to his left.

"Speak for yourself, Nott," Blaise yawned.

"Wrong side of the bed, Zabini?" Draco asked, absentmindedly grabbing an apple from one of the various fruit trays. "Or did you wake up with Pansy again?"

"As if," Blaise dismissed. "Besides, you know she still has the hots for you."

"I'll gladly pass her on," Draco smirked.

"Got someone else lined up, have you?" Blaise's dark eyebrows shot up accusingly. Draco forced his face to remain impassive.

"Not in this bloody school," he gritted before taking a crisp bite of the fruit in his palm.

"I still think Granger's pretty," Theo chimed, causing Blaise to groan audibly.

"Not this shit again." Blaise pinched the bridge of his nose. "You went on enough already yesterday."

Draco shot them a confused look mid-chew.

"Oh, haven't you heard?" Blaise gritted. "Seems he and the mudblood are good friends now. Apparently they hit it off in Potions."

Draco swallowed.

"That is not what I said," Theo yelled, his eyes narrowing at the dark-skinned boy across from him.

"Might as well have been." Blaise gestured to Draco. "I had to listen to this git go on for a good 10 minutes about how 'she smells like vanilla and just looks so sad now.'" His voice raised theatrically to mimic Theo's, his eyelashes fluttering mockingly. "Nearly made me sick, it did."

"Been working on your impressions, Blaise?"

"Shove off, Malfoy. It was awful."

"Oh, so you're allowed to find the Weasley girl attractive, but I'm awful for fancying Granger?" Theo accused.

"I don't find blood traitors attractive," Blaise spat defensively. "Or mudbloods."

Draco's muscles instinctively tensed.

"I especially don't want Potter's sloppy seconds, and I'm sure they're both on that list."

A regrettable retort formed on Draco's lips, but a sharp voice pulled his attention mercifully away.

"Mr. Malfoy," the witch called, and Draco had never been more grateful for McGonagall's interruption. Her emerald robes billowed towards them, her face as severe and unreadable as ever.

"Headmistress," Draco said casually.

"Could I have a private word?" she asked, her eyes blank.

Blaise raised an inquisitive eyebrow. Theo simply looked wary.

Draco gave a resigned shrug.

"Shouldn't you boys be off to class?" she glanced to Blaise and Theo dismissively. It was then that Draco fully noticed how few students still occupied the Great Hall.