Chapter 35

{Jonathan}

Christine's hand was unusally sweaty as she held on to mine. We were walking up the driveway towards my parents' front door, and I could tell Chris was nervous out of her mind. I paused walking and turned towards her. She looked up at me, and I all I could see in her eyes was fear. I gave her a small smile, hoping to loosen her up.

"Babe," I said slowly, as I moved my head until she finally made eye contact with me. "Loosen up. They just want you to be yourself, Chris. I guarantee they will love, you."

"How do you know?" she asked, scrunching up her forehead. "For all we know, I could walk through that door and their first impression would be that I'm just another slut of yours, or, or that my shorts are too short, or-"

I cut her off.

"Excuse me?"

"What?" she asked as she pulled her eyebrows together.

"Another slut of yours?" I repeated, using air quotes. She rolled her eyes at me as she pulled her hand away from mine.

"You've got to be kidding me," she sighed, folding her arms over her chest."You've said it yourself that you used to sleep around."

"I don't bring those girls home, Chris! I fucking love you and all I want is for you to meet my family, and you're throwing my past in my face! I've chosen to forget your past because you asked me to, so why in the hell can't you do that for me?" I yelled. She stepped back, her eyebrows pulling together.

"Because I'm scared," she said quietly. "I'm scared that you will get tired of me just like everyone else has."

"Chris," I whispered, reaching out to grab her hand. She pulled away from me.

"Let's just go inside," she said as she turned her body away from me. I felt at the lump in my pocket that I had been carrying around all summer. Now. Now was the time.

"No, Chris, baby, please come here," I begged. She turned around, tears in her eyes. I slowly walked towards her and placed my hands on her cheeks.

"What?"

"Christine Elaine Brown, I'm completely and totally in love with you. I will never ever, ever get tired of you. Everything about you is perfect, even the things that annoy the living shit out of me. And you know what? I don't know what I would do without you. You have quickly become everything to me. You are my world, and I don't give a damn about how long we've been together. I know that regardless of the time we've already spent, I want to spend it all with you. Chris, will you please marry me and be my beautiful bride?" I proposed, dropping down to my knee. Christine's tears were falling down her cheeks as her hands flew to cover her mouth. All she could manage at that moment was an up and down shake of her head, and that was all I needed to slide the ring that had been burning a whole in my pocket on her left ring finger.

I glanced behind her shoulder and saw mom with a camera. Chris was still sobbing all over the place, so I wrapped my arms around her and pulled her into my chest.

"I love you so much," she finally cried as she reached out to grip my shirt. I smiled and squeezed her closer.

"I love you more," I replied. She looked up at me, a brilliant smile on her face.

"You sure about that?" she questioned with a small hiccup. I smiled and kissed her forehead.

"You can never love me as much as I love you, I promise," I whispered as I pushed her hair away from her face. "You're so beautiful, Chris." I pressed a kiss to her lips, and the happiness I felt when she smiled into me was unbeatable.

Engaged.... I was engaged to the love of my life.