❞ Chapter XIV ❝

It’s a busy morning. Extremely busy. There is a line out the door of customers waiting for their coffee, all impatient, all busy, all worried they’re going to be late for this extremely important thing all because of the baristas who are ‘too slow’. It’s an insane morning, where apparently everyone is running late, including the baristas who were one crew missing until the peak of rush and have been playing catch up.

So by the time the man in the black slacks and plain white dress shirt steps up to the counter after a woman who had considered it an outrage that they were out of breakfast bananas, it’s a breath of fresh air.

“Oh, it’s you,” the slightly frantic looking barista says, his usually extra cheerful how are you today smile finally relaxing as he catches sight of his customer.

“Rough morning?” Namjoon asks, smiling in sympathy as Jimin grabs a to go cup and fills out the order without even pausing.

“Yoongi was late this morning,” Jimin says, brows furrowed in concentration as he punches in the drink order to the register. “I swear, us mingling friend groups? Worst decision ever.”

“I still maintain it was a good idea,” Namjoon says with a smile, stepping back as Jimin swaps with Jeongguk for an espresso machine, trying to move the line quickly. “They all get along well enough.”

“You just say that because it’s more convenient this way and you get a buffer from Seokjin’s nagging,” Jimin points out, but his smile is teasing, eyes softer and less panicked than when they’d looked up at Namjoon behind the register. “Do you want orders for them too?”

“Just me,” Namjoon answers, and passes his card over to Jeongguk as Jimin finishes up his drink. “Thank you,” Namjoon tells him sincerely, accepting the coffee and Jimin’s warm smile when it’s offered to him. “I’ll see you tonight?”

“If I’m still alive,” Jimin says with a laugh that has Namjoon smiling even as he watches him in sympathy.

“Excuse me,” says the young woman at the register, frowning as Jimin hops back on a register. “I’ve been waiting for the last ten minutes, can you please-“

“And they’ve been working hard to try to get to you as fast as they can,” Namjoon cuts in. It’s not his place (at least, probably not) and he knows Jimin is frowning at him (even if Namjoon knows he’s secretly grateful) but Namjoon can’t really help himself. “Does it look like they’re ignoring you? They’re just as busy, if not busier than you are.”

“I’m sorry, who are you?” the woman asks, looking at Namjoon sharply, leaning away in poorly repressed offence.

“A former asshole,” Namjoon tells her pleasantly. “The good news is, you can become one too.”

The woman looks so shocked, Namjoon considers his work well done as he steps away from the register and Jimin’s tightly pressed closed mouth to keep down his laughter. From one of the machines, he hears Hoseok give a soft whoop and raises his hand in a wave as he takes his leave.

“Good morning, No Jams,” Seokjin says, spinning in Namjoon’s chair at the office, a smile on his face that is too bright and smug for this early in the day. “How’s my favorite barista?”

“He was late to work because of you,” Namjoon tells him, kicking him out of his chair. “You owe Jimin a personal apology.”

“I trust you to convey my condolences,” Seokjin says with mock sincerity before he steps back with a laugh and a grin. “Ready for our first clients?”

Letting out a long sigh, Namjoon shakes his head and looks down at his desk, still strewn with papers, but less morbid and soul crushing than they had been a year ago. That’s the change that happens when you switch professions from a divorce lawyer to the legal representative to the local music company. Seokjin had latched onto the idea, and Taehyung had managed to actually snag a role among the production team with, incidentally, Hoseok (when he wasn’t working on coffee service).

It also lets Namjoon finally, finally do something with all his weekends spent in his private hobby as a music enthusiast, applying his know-how to the industry amid reviewing copyright laws and licensing.

It’s a better world, with less early morning phone calls that ruin Namjoon’s mood before it can establish itself.

And, of course, the perfect venti macchiato labeled correctly every time Namjoon goes at picks it up in the morning.

“I still can’t believe he actually writes ‘Rap Monster’ on your coffee every morning,” Seokjin says, stealing Namjoon’s coffee and taking a sip of it.

Shrugging, Namjoon steals back his coffee, smiling at the familiar handwriting displaying the nickname Yoongi had given him that one time they all decided to get very drunk and go to karaoke. “I like it,” Namjoon says, grinning at the small smiley face just below the nickname.

“Gross,” Seokjin informs him with a contradictory sweet smile. “Alright, I’m off to check up on recording. Enjoy your romantic coffee experience.”

“I shall,” Namjoon tells him, smiling as he takes a sip. He always does.