Rotten Luck

{ AN: I haven't updated in a while, so this chapter is going to be extra long. Enjoy! }

I yawned. I usually love train rides, but this one was long and awkward. I sat at a cluster of four seats with a table in between them. Rowan sat to the right of me, Ashton sat in front of her, and Calum sat in front of me. Luke and Michael were sitting in the row behind Calum and Ashton. 

Rowan was sleeping, Ashton was playing some game on his phone, and Calum was listening to music while staring out of the window. I was reading, but every so often I would feel Calum's gaze land on my face. 

Rowan's head abruptly jerked, and she opened her eyes and looked at me. "Are we there yet?" She said airily. 

I giggled. "No. We still have two more hours to go on this train and then we have to switch in Aylesbury." She sighed and fell back to sleep. 

I continued to read my book, but I felt like someone was watching me. I looked up and saw that Calum had been staring at me, but at my glance, he turned and looked out the window. 

I put my book down. I'll just close my eyes for a minute. In my world, a minute is two hours. 

I felt someone poking me, and I woke up to see the face of Rowan staring at me. "Come on, we gotta go!" We rushed to grab our stuff together, but we managed to get everyone and their belongings off of the train at the right station. 

"Wow. That was fun." Ashton said while smiling.

I rolled my eyes. "Well, we have to catch our train. It leaves in a 5 minutes." Ashton's eyes widened.

We mall-walked to where our train was suposed to be, but it wasn't there.

"Did we miss it?" Calum asked while looking disappointed. 

"No, I don't think so. We're right on time. It can't have left already." My brain was trying to come up with theories to explain why the train wasn't here yet.

"Maybe it's just a tad late?" Rowan suggested.

Luke shook his head. "I don't know. Let me check my phone." He scrolled through his phone until he stopped suddenly. "Um, guys, our train is delayed."

"How long?"

He looked up and made eye contact. "36 hours."

"What?" I say incredulously. 

"It had to stop due to mechanical problems."

Michael groaned. "Well what are we going to do now?"

We stood in silence for a minute. Suddenly a thought sprung into my head. "Wait, we're in Aylesbury, right?"

Luke looked at me like I was stupid. "Of course. Where else would we be?"

I rolled my eyes. "I don't appreciate your sarcasm. Anyway, there's this guy I know that lives here. Well, I think he lives here. We might be able to crash at their house for a few days." 

"Really? Cool. What's his name?"

"Grant. Grant Lane."

"Do you know where he lives?"

"No, not exactly. They moved 5 years ago. I'm going to go call my mom." I took my phone out of my bag and walked away from the group. 

-

-

-

An hour later, our little rag-tag group stood at the door of Grant's house. I hadn't seen their new house before, but it was larger than their previous house. Everyone looked at me, and I pressed the button to ring the doorbell. 

We waited for a minute. Then, the door opened to reveal the smiling face of a ten-year-old girl. "Mia!" I smiled widely as I gave her a hug. 

"Rose!" She returned my hug. "How are you? I've missed you so much!"

"I've been good. What about you? How are you doing in school?"

"I've been doing good. Grant says that I'm the smartest girl in my year, which is probably true."

I chuckled at her. She was absolutely adorable. "Well, where is your mom?"

"She's inside. Come on in." She led us into the house. Once we reached the kitchen, a woman turned around and smiled at us. 

"Oh, welcome!"

"Mrs. Lane! It's so nice to see you again!"

"Aw, Rose, it's wonderful to see you too! Now, who are your friends?"

I turned to my friends and pointed to them as I talked about them. "This is Rowan, Luke, Ashton, Michael, and Calum." I looked at Calum as I pointed to him, and he met my gaze. I looked away and grinned at Mrs. Lane. "Thanks for letting us stay here Mrs. Lane. You don't know how much this means to us."

"Oh, it's no problem at all. If you all want to settle in, the rooms are upstairs. Boys, your room is the first door on your left, and girls, I hope that you're okay with staying in Mia's room." We nodded.

We all started to ascend the stairs when a thought struck me. I turned to Mrs. Lane. "Just wondering, but where's Grant?"

"Football practice. Don't worry, he'll be back soon." She winked at me and I blushed. She had known about my secret crush on Grant ever since I was Mia's age. 

"Oh, ok." I began to walk up the stairs. 

The boys had their own room to themselves, and I peeked in to see that they were all laying down on the carpeted floor. I rolled my eyes and continued to Mia's room. 

By the time I got there, Mia was sitting on her bed. "Where's Rowan?" I asked. 

"She's changing in the bathroom." I nodded and sat next to her. "I don't mean to be rude, " she started, "but what are you all doing here?"

I shifted uncomfortably. "Well, we need to find someone."

"Who?"

"Um, Rowan's aunt. She's in trouble, and we kind of have to help her."

Mia nodded. "That's cool. How are your mom and brother doing?"

"My mom's fine, but Dimitri... he passed away." My eyes began to tear up. 

Mia's face fell. "I'm so sorry."

I shook my head. "It's fine."

We sat in silence for a few minutes. The silence was broken by a knock on her door. "Hey, Mia, why are there four boys in the guest ro–"

He stopped once he saw me. "Rose."

I took a sharp breath as our eyes met. "Grant." 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey everyone! So, I know that I haven't updated in a while, but hopefully this super long chapter makes up for it! 

Thanks for 5.4k reads! Also, I love it when you guys comment and vote!

Stay weird ;)

~ Chelsea