II

A/N:OK SO I KNOW THE FIRST TWO PARTS WERE IN THIRD PERSON POINT OF VIEW, BUT FROM THIS POINT ON, IT WILL BE IN FIRST PERSON. Enjoy.

I stare into the mirror, my fingers pressing lightly onto the cold glass. My ice blue eyes stare back at me through my reflection. It's the morning before my fourteenth year and in the pit of my stomach, I feel a change approaching.

Sahara paces in my mind, feeling just as uneasy as I am.

Ian has been gone for two days now, giving me a false sense of security. In these last four years, I have been keeping a huge part of myself a secret from him, knowing the what would happen if the truth was to get out. I mean, if he was to find out that one of the very things that he loves to hunt has been living right under his nose....Well, I'm afraid that my young life would end right then and there.

"You are a wolf, he could never overpower us."

"He has been hunting our kind for his whole entire life, Sahara. He knows how to kill us." I reply back inside my own head. Over the last four years, the already strong bond I have with Sahara has increased ten-fold. Together we learned much more about the world, about each other as separate beings, and us as one. Learning to keep my replies to her inside my head, was just one of those small things.

"We are not meant to die here."

I roll my eyes at her cryptic speaking, that phrase is one of her favorites.

I twist my pale blond hair into a bun at the nape of my neck. My ears perk up at the sound of tires going over gravel, alerting me that Ian will be home very soon.

I quickly tidy up my room. He finds any reason to lay his hands on me these days, the state of my messy room is one of his favorite excuses.

The front door slams open and the faint smell of alcohol follows the man of the house in. I close my eyes as I hear him stumble into the house with his hunting buddies. I count two extra pairs of legs with him. I close my eyes tightly as I practically feel the anger rushing off of them all in strong waves. I suck in a breath as I tip toe down the stairs and into the kitchen to make dinner for the men. My goal was to avoid them completely, but I quickly realized that that was just too impossible.

"Ruby, why isn't there any beer in the fridge!?"

I let out a small sigh before slowly turning around to face him, the villain in my life.

"I'm a minor, father, they refuse to sell me any alcohol."

I see the hand flying toward me, but I make no move to stop it. I feel a sharp sting on my cheek as he lands his blow, but the pain is gone as fast and quick as it came. The smell faint smell of copper fills my nostrils as I realize that his ring scratched me, though I feel no pain from it.

"Then you steal it!" He growls, "You're so useless!"

I resist the urge to roll my eyes as I turn to make make my way into the kitchen, but a heavy grip on my arm stops me. He wrenches my arm back, my body starts to turn against my will as he forces me to face him.

"Did I say I was finished speaking?"

His two friends laugh from behind him. I can tell that Ian is trying to show off his dominance. I eye the two, analyzing what I can from them in the little time that I have. One of them is tall, lanky and greasy. His head is bald and his face is sporting, what I can only compare to a beard like the one in that show "Duck Dynasty", It's pitch black, but long enough to cover the majority of his chest. It looks like a wild bird's nest, though. One can only wonder how it doesn't get in the way of hunting. Surely a wolf can smell his unwashed facial hair from a mile away. I sure can.