Spirit to Rain

To My Dear Mare,

War is soon to begin; training has concluded. Admittedly, I've been half-tempted to act as a rookie, not knowing how to be a proper soldier. Yet, it was you who said to serve with my best ability. So, my love, I'll try the best I can. Chief says this war shouldn't last more than a few months; that's his hope, anyways.

There are others like me who have been drafted into the war, and I must fulfill my obligation to this country. But I can't help but feel anger at times, wondering why I was chosen. This isn't how I planned for our marriage to start. Three months, and swept away from the home we just purchased. I suppose there is a greater meaning to my drafting, but I just can't see it.

I'm writing this letter whilst on a boat; I intend to mail it once we reach our assigned location. I wish I could've mailed you a letter at our training site; however, there was no such opportunity. Please forgive me if it takes time in between the letters; I'd fly them myself to you if I could.

The food has been decent, though 'tis nowhere comparable to your cooking, sweetheart. The chefs raise my hopes high upon saying a special meal would be coming our way to welcome us to the military. Naturally, I was salivating when I saw hamburgers. Now, don't get me wrong, the hamburgers were decent, yet they were a little dry, unlike yours, which are always perfect. Even more, they had ketchup and mustard, but no barbecue sauce! How am I supposed to eat a burger without my BBQ! Maybe it's a good thing they hadn't given us barbecue; that's our thing, anyway. It wouldn't feel right without you by my side.

One of the men in our unit was born in Spain. Can you believe that, honey? Spain! He knows little English, but I think he said, "There isn't any better way known to man to help my new country than helping my country remain free." I indeed know French is the language of love, but I'm going to bend the rules: te amo, mi amor.

Your Spirit