Chapter 1. 'Squad Levi'

As my eyes flutter open, I see the yellowish-white sunlight come in from the windowsill as the curtains fly due to the slight breeze coming from the open window. I turn over and grab the pocket-watch out of the drawer of my bedside table that Levi had gave me the first day I joined his squad. The time read six-forty-eight a.m., almost seven o' clock. I sit up, as I put the watch back into the drawer. I stretched my arms, pulling them over my head as I let out a big yawn.

I sat on the edge of my bed, gathering my strength so I could get up. I wasn't able to sleep last night, and was up until two a.m.. I get up and walk over to the one small window I had, and pulled open the curtains to see Levi outside caring for the horses in their stable. 

I let go of the curtains and rushed to get my clothes on, first putting on my pants, my shirt, and then strapping my harness onto me. On the first day of Cadette training, some higher-ups had given me my first harness. I've probably had to switch out my harnesses 4 or 5 times due to wear and tear from the maneuver gear. I put on my boots, and went over to my window to check on Levi once again just to see him still brushing his horse. I walked over to my bedside drawer and checked my pocket watch one last time, for it to read five minutes before seven o' clock. I slipped it in my pocket and was ready to go.

Just as I was about to open my door, I heard a slight knock. Was it Levi? No, it couldn't be, he was just brushing his horse. 

"Yes..?"

I open the door to see Eren standing there, like he had something to tell me. I sigh, having a feeling that it would have to do with cleaning up around here.

"Hey f/n, Levi want's us to clean up around here.. again."

"Seriously? Okay then, i'll be out in a few."

I close the door, trying not to be rude. I had a feeling that it would have to do with something about cleaning. I plopped back onto my bed for a few seconds, than got back up to look at Levi again. He wasn't there that time. I got up and opened my door and walked down the hall to see if he was checking on the cleaning. I looked around the room just to see Eren and Historia cutting vegetables for something. 

"Hey Eren, Historia, do you know where Levi is?"

"Wasn't he just outside in the stables?"

Historia replied, looking confused. Must've just been me then, or he just went off to do something else.

"Nevermind.."

I said as I sighed in embarrassment. I grabbed some gloves and a mask from the cabinet underneath the sink in the kitchen, and went to clean. I scrubbed the floors with a mop, and dusted the windowsills too. Last time we cleaned the place we were staying at, Levi scolded us for not getting the dust under the table. So I made sure this time to clean there too. I heard the front door creak, and Levi walked inside.

"Hey l/n, how's the cleaning going."

"It's going good.."

I was sort of scared he would scold me again, as he walked over to me and swiped his finger under the table, to look for any dust. He looked at me and said,

"Good."

I smiled a little bit and let out a small giggle, and kept on cleaning. Levi really is funny; scolding you for not cleaning every little piece of dust that exists, it's sort of ridiculous. I guess that's what makes it enjoyable being in Levi's squad for me, even though I get tired of cleaning sometimes.

I set down the broom I was using and took of my gloves for a breather. Levi walked out of the room, and went to the kitchen. I sat down on one of the dining room chairs, and looked around and whispered to myself,

"I think I'm done here..."

I get up and a scent of potatoes, carrots, and bell peppers filled my nose. Carrots and potatoes were two foods that were easy to take care of and farm, so we always have a high stock of those. They are small, and grow underground. Although carrots need a little more water to be grown here, they are still one of the most easily accessible foods for most families. Potato's are also good, and you can usually get them for cheap.

Bell peppers weren't so common though, since they are plants that are grown above ground, having them take up more land. Bell peppers were usually reserved for richer people, like people that lived inside wall Sina. It was uncommon for us to eat bell peppers, in fact I've probably eaten them a few times in my life.

I walked over to the kitchen and peeked inside, to see a big steaming pot sitting on the wood powered stove. Levi, Eren, and Historia all standing there watching it, and cleaning up. I could smell the slight scent of burnt wood coming from it, but the scent of vegetables overpowered that smell. I walked inside and said,

"What're you guys making?"

They looked over at me and Levi said,

"We're you just standing there the entire time?"

"Oh, yeah.. sorry."

"It's soup."

I went over to the trash can there and tossed my used gloves in the trash, and walked over to the pot an looked inside. The potatoes, carrots, bell peppers, and some other spices were all boiling to the top, and the scent was even stronger this time. The smell of soup never gets old. It sort of reminded me of my mom, when she used to make vegetable soup. We never put bell peppers in it, but it was still good.

I walked out of the kitchen and went outside to the stables to go brush my horse, h/n. I lived in Shinganshina, and at the time of the colossal titan attack I had gone out to wall Rose to run an errand for my mom. She wanted me to deliver a letter she had written. To this day I don't even know what happened to her. My dad is still alive, but he lives somewhere inside wall Sina. He barely visits me, and the last time I saw him was when I was little.

I have little faith that my mom is still alive, but even if there is a possibility she is, I want to believe it. If she is, I want to see her again sometime. Maybe I can even meet my dad. Then everything can be normal again, and I'll deliver that letter for my mom, and say, "I delivered your letter mom.." because I never actually got the chance to deliver it. I wonder what that letter said, because I never read it.

I brushed my horse, and felt tears drip down my face. I couldn't be crying, what if someone saw. I wiped the tears off my face with my sleeve and hugged my horse. I put down the brush and walked out of h/n's stable, closing the door behind me. I grabbed a bucket and filled it with water from the nearby well, and grabbed my horse's dirty water bowl and dumped it outside in a field. I poured the clean water into my horse's empty water bowl and gave it back. 

H/n quickly drank up some of the clean water I just gave them, and went back to sleeping.

I left the stables, and looked up at the sun. I checked my pocket watch, and it was twelve o' clock exactly. It was almost lunch time. I ran back to the building and entered it, heading my way back to the dining room. I saw Armin trying to get my attention and walked up to me saying,

"I was just going to go get you f/n, but I guess you're back. It's lunch time."

I nodded and walked over to the kitchen, and saw bowls all stacked neatly. Levi was just cleaning the floor, as he turned his head and saw me.

"L/n, call everyone. Tell them it's lunch time."

"Okay Captain."

I saluted him and walked out of the kitchen, over to everyone's rooms. I told  everyone it was almost lunch time, and they all followed behind me. As I walked around, I could still smell the faint scent of soup in my nose. I brought everyone back to the dining room, and went back to the kitchen.

"I've got everyone, Captain."

"Tell one of them to help you pass out food."

I asked if anyone wanted to help pass out food, and Armin raised his hand. We passed out to everyone a bowl of soup and people started eating. Once we were done, we both got ourselves a bowl of soup and sat down and ate quickly. I looked around and saw that Levi didn't get any, and walked outside. I wonder if he's okay.