The boss

He was cold, dark and mysterious. He had money, power and ruled the most powerful gang in the city. He never opened up to anyone. So what made her so different?

Bosses POV

The curious bundle of joy sitting in my lap was slowly drifting off to sleep.

"Lola would you like me to take you home?" I ask as she sleepily opens her eyes.

"Oh I don't want to bother you I could just walk thank you" she says looking up at me with her big eyes.

"It's alright I don't want you out at this time of night, especially in this neighborhood" I tell her

"But-" the door opened just as she was about to say more.

Jace comes in with the last person I wanna see.
"Old man what are you doing here?" I say to the previous boss as he walks in.

Lola quickly jumps out of my lap and goes over to the old man.

"Do you need some help mister" she ask in her caring voice.

The old man looks at her and... smiles ?

He never smiles the only time I saw him smile was when he was watching me or Jace torture someone and it wasn't a nice smile.

"Thank you young lady" He says in that same commanding voice he used with me and Jace.

Lola smiles that sweet smile that brings the sun in the room.

"Of course," she says looking closer at him "wait your that nice old man I helped the other day?" She says surprised

"Yes and it's a pleasure to see you again" he says

"Alright Lola Jace will drive you home me and the old man gotta talk" I say motioning for Jace to take Lola away.

"Oh, well alright I'll see you later than good night and goodbye mister" she waves to me and the old man.

When the door is closed and I know she's out of earshot I ask "what are you doing here?"

"She's a sweet girl isn't she?" He says ignoring my question.

"Yes she's amazing, now what are you doing here?" I respond

"It would be a shame if something were to happen to her, right?"

I freeze I knew this would happen.

"That's why I will make sure NOTHING happens to her" I say starting to get angry.

The old man just smiles "Good"

He gets up and hobbles over to the door.

"I was watching her and saw her come here, just wanted to make sure you didn't kill her" he says as he grabs the door handle.

"Oh and my son should be coming soon" he says and walks out the door.
I sigh wanting to talk to Lola more than anything. But more than anything I need to keep a look out for the old mans son.

*Ring* my phone buzzes as I see Jaces number pop up.

"Hey you guys alright?" I ask

"Yes, I just dropped her off at her apartment" he says

"Good alright I'll see you when you get back" I say

"....."

I notice he hasn't hung up and I can tell he wants to ask so I'll just tell him.

"Sigh the old man said his son would be coming soon" I say and then the line goes dead . He probably broke his phone, again.

When he finally gets back I see his phone in a sad broken mess. He must have broken it when I told him about the old mans son.

I look at him and say "you really don't like him huh?"

He simply gives me a look

Neither of us like James he's a psychotic, sadistic, creep. When the old man was boss it was me, Jace and James who were his guards.

In the past the gang would be pasted down to the son of the boss but even the old man knew James wouldn't make a good leader, but James thought otherwise. When the boss said James wasn't fit to be leader, James left he said we would be sorry for underestimating him. It's been almost a year since I took over and now I have to deal with James.