Ugly

Disclaimer- I wish, man. But no, the characters/settings aren't mine. But thanks to Uncle Rick for giving us this world!
________________________________
Katie POV

"Katie has got to be the ugliest girl in camp."

I stopped short at that. The small basket of strawberries I was carrying to give to Travis tumbled onto the ground. I knelt behind the tree and saw where the voice had come from.

Two Aphrodite girls, Rachel and Vanessa, were on the bench by the volleyball courts, no doubt watching the Apollo boys.

"I know, right?!" Rachel said in her annoyingly high-pitched voice. "It's like she doesn't even care that her hair looks like a bird's nest."

I touched my hand to my head carefully. Sure, my hair wasn't bleach blonde and curly, but it wasn't that bad, right?

"That's not even the worst part about her." Vanessa said. "I mean, look at all the freckles she's got. And don't even get me started on how pale she is. For all that time she spends getting dirty in the strawberry fields, she should at least have a tan." She laughed. "I mean, has she ever heard of makeup before? Or better yet, plastic surgery? She's like, a two on a scale from one to ten."

I was holding back my tears well enough as they giggled in that flirtatious way of theirs, but after that, Rachel said something even worse.

"I heard Travis is going to dump her because she's not pretty enough."

"Good." Vanessa smirked. "Then I can have him all to myself. He's way out of Katie's league anyways. Who would want to be seen with that ugly cow?"

Travis was going to leave me? Does he really think I'm ugly? I thought. Of course he does, I never thought I was good enough for him in the first place. Why would he want me?

Silent tears streamed down my face as I grabbed the basket and ran to the dock by the lake.
________________________________
Travis POV

"Katie?" I called, walking down by the lake. She had gone to get some strawberries for us earlier  but had never come back. It was getting dark, but I saw her silhouette by the edge of the dock.

I walked to the edge. "Hey Kit-Kat!" I smiled. "Where were you earlier? You never came back with the strawberries." She turned away from me as I sat down next to her.

I frowned. "Hey Kates, what's going on?" She didn't turn around. I laid a hand on her shoulder and forced her around despite her efforts against me. My breath caught in my throat as I saw her face, swollen and red from crying, with tear tracks running down her cheeks.

"Katie?" I questioned, trying to pull her into my lap to hug her, but she wouldn't let me. "Katie-Kat," I said softly, "please tell me what's wrong."

She started crying once more. "Are... are you going t-to break up with me Trav?" She choked out, her green eyes shining with tears.

My eyes widened in shock. "Of course not! Why would you think that?!"

"S-So you," she took a deep breath, "you don't think I'm ugly?"

"No! Katie, how could you call yourself ugly?"

She spoke quickly as though trying to get it out in one breath. "Because, I know I have awful hair and pale skin, and I'm always dirty from gardening and my freckles are disgusting, and I heard you were gonna break up with me because I'm not pretty enough for you. If that's true, it's fine Travis, Ok? Just tell me so that I don't get my hopes up again and-"

I couldn't take her talking about herself like that anymore so I brought my lips to hers, effectively cutting her off. I cupped her chin with my hand and deepened the kiss. She tasted like strawberries, as she always does. I tried to put all of my feeling for her into that kiss. She's so special, and she deserves to know it.

When I pulled away for air, Katie was looking at me, eyes wide and gasping. I tried pulling her into my lap again and this time she obliged. I wrapped my arms around her and she buried her face in my neck. I could feel her breath on my neck and held her tighter. We stayed like that for several seconds until I spoke. "Katie?"

She pulled back and looked up at me. "Katie," I started, "you are so beautiful. I love your hair and how you let me practice braiding it after you shower. I love your freckles, and I could spend all day counting them. It's like counting the stars in the night sky. I love your skin, and how it seems to glow in the moonlight, and how you've never once thought about getting a fake tan just to look like those other girls. I love how you're not afraid to get your hands dirty, and how much hard work you put into your garden. I love your eyes, and how brilliantly green they are; just like a forest. I love everything about you. I love you, Katie, and I never want you to think of yourself as anything less than the most beautiful girl I have ever laid eyes on."

Her eyes had filled with tears of a different kind as I was speaking, and she threw her arms around me once more. "I love you too, Travis." She whispered in my ear.

We stayed there for a while, watching the last of the sunset and finding constellations in the sky above us. Eventually she fell asleep, her head in my lap. I smiled down at my beautiful, beautiful girlfriend. I was right, I thought. Counting her freckles is better than counting the stars in the sky.
________________________________

A/N- so yeah, that was my first ever attempt at a fanfic, so hope you like it. Please rate if you have the time, but I hope I didn't waste yours with this. Also comment if you want a specific one shot
and I will be happy to deliver!

Thanks,
Mummigirl