𝑭𝒊𝒇𝒕𝒆𝒆𝒏

I 015

I 015. I

𝑾𝒂𝒓 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝑽𝒊𝒏𝒆𝒔

❝ too much to ever let him go ❞

ARIADNE'S BODY WAS IN OVERDRIVE. She was moving too quick for her brain to process anything until they grew closer and closer to the bridge of Olympus. It was dissolving. They stepped out of the elevator onto the white marble walkway, and immediately cracks appeared at their feet.

"Jump!" Grover said, which was easy for him since he was part mountain goat.

He sprang to the next slab of stone while theirs tilted sickeningly.

Ariadne and Thalia tossed Annabeth over to Grover, seeing as she was in no shape to jump. The blonde made it over safely.

"Gods, I hate heights!" Thalia yelled as she and Percy leaped. Ariadne was the last to jump, making sure very one else was over before her. But the slab stone tilted even more as the two demigods pushed off. It cracked and fell, causing Ariadne's feet to slip from under her.

She stumbled and yelled, "Percy!"

Percy caught her hand as the pavement fell, crumbling into dust. For a second he thought she was going to pull them both over. Her feet dangled in the open air. Her hand started to slip until he was holding her only by her fingers. Then Grover and Thalia grabbed his legs, and he found extra strength. Ariadne was not going to fall.

Percy pull her up and they lay trembling on the pavement. He didn't realize they had their arms around each other until she shook them off. She found it awkward ever since their last kiss which they hadn't gotten around to talking about.

"Um, thanks," she muttered.

"Uh duh."

"Keep moving!" Grover tugged Percy's shoulder. They untangled themselves and sprinted across the sky bridge as more stones disintegrated and fell into oblivion. They made it to the edge of the mountain just as the final section collapsed.

Annabeth looked back at the elevator, which was now completely out of reach—a polished set of metal doors hanging in space, attached to nothing, six hundred stories above Manhattan.

"We're marooned," she said. "On our own."

"Blah-ha-ha!" Grover said. "The connection between Olympus and America is dissolving. If it fails—"

"The gods won't move on to another country this time," Thalia said. "This will be the end of Olympus. The final end."

They ran through streets. Mansions were burning. Statues had been hacked down. Trees in the parks were blasted to splinters. It looked like someone had attacked the city with a giant Weedwacker.