2. Strange Man

I made my way over to the auditorium. Some kind of play or something was happening to help inform us about the witches curse. My parents already told me all about that.

I walked in and the teacher was ranting on and on about something. Norman heard the door open and turned. He saw me and I waved to him. He gave a small smile, but turned back to the teacher, when she started talking even louder.

"Pilgrims? The Mayflower? Don’t any of you know anything about the history of this town?" The teacher tries her best to remain unfazed. "Puritans were strict and devout settlers, who came here to build a home, a place without sin"

"Um, excuse me" I piped up. Every turned to look at me. My cheeks heated up and I looked away.

"Oh! You're the new student...we've already casted for the play, have you learned about the witches curse?" The teacher asked.

"Yes, my Mom taught me all about it when I was being homeschooled" I honestly responded.

"Wonderful, if you would sit down in any chair, and watch until the end of class, then you're all set" The teacher said.

I went over to a seat in the front row and looked up at the people on the stage. The boy who I saw this morning wiping the word 'fatty' off his locker was playing a tree, and he looked very happy to do so.

"What is it now Salma?" The teacher asked as she saw a girl in a witch costume raising her hand. Even beneath green makeup and a plastic warty nose, it is clear she is not pleased. I wouldn't be either, that witch costume isn't even close to being historically accurate.

"Why is the witch always a hideous old crone with a pointy hat and a broomstick? I don’t believe it’s historically accurate, Mrs Henscher!" This so called 'Salma' said. Atleast someone agrees with me.

Mrs.Henscher’s knuckles clench white around her script. She attempts an understanding smile, in the same way a shark might.

"It’s not supposed to be. It’s supposed to sell postcards and key chains" Mrs. Henscher said. Makes sense...I guess. She clapped her hands. "So let’s try it again. Top of page six, Norman"

Norman skipped ahead on his scroll. He didn't look happy to be there at all.

"The founding father's of Blithe
Hollow discovered an evil witch amongst them..." Norman said with a monotone sound to his voice.

"No no, Norman, with gusto! Like
this!" Mrs. Henscher said waving her arms theatrically, she bellows Norman’s lines, milking every syllable for effect.

"They put her on trial and hanged her! But the vengeful witch cursed her accusers, seven of them in all, to die horrible and gruesome death and rise from their graves as the living dead; their souls doomed to an eternity of damnation!" She paused. "Now I want you to try that again, but with conviction! My reputation is at stake here, and I won’t have this turn out like that wretched Kabuki debacle of oh-nine!"

As she launches into her lecture, I noticed Norman looking around. He looked confused. I tilted my head and raised an eyebrow...