Chapter 19

After a week, their director set up an arrangement for them to meet Jim, Melissa's father. Melissa requested for them not to meet in their hideout because she doesn't know if her father is someone who can trust so the director arranged it in a restaurant. Once the two were inside, they scanned the room for any suspicious people. When they are satisfied, they went over the table that is reserved for them and decided to wait for Jim before ordering.

Chris looked at Melissa, trying to see what she's feeling right now but she's unpredictable. "Are you okay?"

"Of course," Melissa said, smiling a bit. "Actually, no. I don't know."

Chris reached out for her hand on the table and looked at her. "You can do it. Just talk to him the way you want to. I am here with you."

Melissa nodded and smiled sweetly at him. After a few minutes, Jim came into the restaurant and immediately saw them. He's smiling but it's obvious in his moves that he's kind of nervous in meeting his daughter for the first time.

He approached them with a smile on his face, reaching out his hand for a handshake. "Good morning. I am Jim Benoist."

Melissa nodded and took his hand for a shake but immediately removed it. Chris did the same, but with a smile on his face. There was an awkward silence so Chris had to talk to remove the tension.

"Oh, uh. So, let's order first before we start, shall we?" Chris said, smiling at the both of them. Melissa smiled a little, looking at him with a 'thank-you' look on her face.

They called the waiter and ordered their food. Once they're done ordering, there was a silence once again while waiting for their orders to come.

This time, it's Jim's turn to speak. "So, shall we start now? Just ask me anything."

Chris looked at Melissa.

"I... I'm not sure if we can say much about the case since you're not an agent but the questions we'll be asking will be recorded. If you can't answer one or two, or even any of the questions, you will be released but we can't promise to have no eyes on you; the department will be keeping its eyes on you. Once released from this questioning, you are expected to never say a word about us, our identities, and the department's existence. Understood?" Melissa asked, her eyes piercing into her father's soul.

Jim nodded. "I promise to be honest and true with everything that I say. You can trust my word."

Melissa looked around, the director really made sure that there is only few people in the restaurant and that their reserved table is far from everyone. Melissa grabbed her recording device and turned it on.

"First things first," Melissa started. She spoke with confidence and fierce in her voice. "Do you know the names of the suspects? Do you know any of them?"

"I don't."

Melissa nodded. She continued, "Did they try to contact or made arrangements to meet you?"

"Yes," Jim said, truthfully. Melissa looked at him, she's shocked but it doesn't show in her face. Chris looked at him also at the same time. "They tried. I know they did because... because of my job. I saw something different on my cellphone device that time and my car's GPS. It's leading me somewhere I didn't know so I turned back and went back home."

Melissa straightened her body. "Was that the only event that they tried to make contact with you?"

"No... they've tried many times."

"Many times? How many?" Melissa asked.

"I wasn't able to count but the most recent was the GPS one and the one where they called me which was a week ago," Jim replied. "I didn't know that it was them so I answered it."

"So you were able to talk to them." Melissa stated. "What did they say?"

"They wanted to meet," Jim started while looking directly at his daughter's eyes. "They wanted to meet me somewhere. They threatened that they will do something to my family if I don't come but I knew that my family's in safe hands so I didn't come. They said they need my help in some kind of a mission that only I can do. They know who you are, Melissa."

Melissa nodded. "I know. We know. We heard their meeting, they know you and I. They just want you and they want to get rid of me in order for me not to be able to interfere and investigate about this case."

"You went there? That's dangerous. You should go there with someone whom you trust or when there's a troop behind your back. This is huge, you'll need all the help."

"We know that. That's why we looked for you, that's why we talked to you, sir. We need to know what they can do or what they're willing to do in order for them to get into you. They will manipulate you to join their team and do whatever they plan to do." Melissa replied.

They stopped discussing when the waiter came back with their orders.

As soon as the waiter left, they started eating. Chris looked at the both them. He asked Jim, "Sir, have you thought of joining their team?"

Jim was shocked by his sudden question but immediately shook his head with a smile. "I don't. I'm not a bad guy. I know my daughter is working to have peace in this country once again and I don't want to be against her principles."

Melissa stopped eating and looked at him. She pressed the button on her device to stop recording. "We're done for today."

Jim nodded. "Shall I leave? Or am I allowed to eat my food."

"Oh, no, no, sir. My partner meant that we're done about the questioning for today but you can eat you're food. Stay, sir." Chris said and smiled at him.

"Thank you."

They all continued eating their food. Once they were done, Jim left the restaurant first then Melissa and Chris followed.

"You were too professional." Chris remarked.

"You told me to talk to him the way I want to and I did." Melissa answered back at him.

Chris shook his head. "But is that really how you wanna talk to him? He is your father."

"Was." Melissa replied with a sad smile on her face. "He was my father. Well, I might give him another chance but I don't know. But for now, let's just focus here. I don't want to bring my personal life drama into this case. If we need him in this case, he can work with us."