CH 02 || Not welcomed

A mules's Tale

Ava's face brightened as Brianne said something pertaining to her. In fact, the conversation wasn't grasping her attention like the girl's eyes which were dancing like sea-blue marble crystals in the rain. No, it didn't shine by mere reflection of light, it illuminated itself because with the reflection from that big ball of gas, its shine wouldn't be mysterious. Her eyes were captivating but hid with it tales of mystery.

"That's why it's a surprise. We wanted this for both of you," said Eleanor, putting a hand on Ava's head.

"Both of us?" Brianne inquired, her face squeezed. "What are you saying?"

Ava's eyes left Brianne to her parents, keeping a fixed gaze before going back to her.

"Yes, Brianne," replied Pete, taking a stride towards his daughter and putting both hands of his on her bare shoulders.

"Both of you," he continued.

"That doesn't make any sense," said Brianne, lifting up her eyes to look at her father close behind her.

"Darling, from now on, Ava will be staying with us," Eleanor responded, standing close to Ava.

"As what? As a maid? As what, as what to us, what?" Brianne rambled, shaking her blonde waves.

"... As your sister." Pete landed in a serious tone, not holding in any humour. He knew his daughter would flare up but that would pass - he hoped.

"What?!" Screeched Brianne, her eye growing so wide as her eyebrows rose to its extreme. She even started making her way down the stairs, away from her father.

"You've heard your father darling, Ava is your new sister. We adopted her from-"

"I don't want to hear it. Why? Did I say I needed a sister?" Screamed Brianne in annoyance.

"We just wanted-" began Eleanor but was interjected by her daughter. She winced, knowing it would turn out that way but it was the only route. If both of them had seek her consent, Brianne would definitely not accept it.

"You just wanted what?" Brianne's voice lowered in fury. "This is sick. And as for you.." she pointed towards Ava. "..I'll never consider you part of my family!" She hissed before walking away.

"Brianne come back here. Brianne!....." Eleanor's voice trailed off as she went after her daughter.

Ava's countenance fell and Pete noticed it. He took a deep breath and walked slowly to her side.

"Not okay, are you?" He asked rhetorically, standing in front of her whose face rose to see him.

"No, I'm okay... I guess," she shrugged, playing with her fingers.

There was a moment of silence as Pete looked down at her, biting the inside of his lips while tilting them to the side. He dropped his head, running a hand down his face.

"Sorry about Brianne. She normally doesn't act like that. She just isn't used to well.. being close to anyone except us." He apologized on her behalf.

"It's okay. Is she your biological kid?" Ava asked, her face beaming a little.

"Ah yeah. She's our only blood child."

"Oh," was the only response Ava gave.

"That doesn't mean we won't treat you two the same," said Pete after realizing Ava's expression.

"No no no Sir, that's not what I mean. It's just that, probably, since she is your biological daughter, it'll be really hard for her to like me." Ava cried with a pout.