𝟎𝟓

𝐂𝐚𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐫

It was hard explaining to my mom and dad what Emily, Amelia, my sisters and I had talked about while they'd been away. Emily was very nervous to tell my parents she'd recited the story of what had happened to her to my two younger sisters. I knew my mom and dad were planning on informing Arelle of what had happened to both my mom and Emily soon after her scare with phasing. We were apprehensive for their reaction but my mom only sighed in relief before telling Emily she was more than okay with what she'd done.

After that we could all relax and I was more than happy that nothing had changed with the way that Kyra acted and behaved around me. Arelle was never a problem in my eyes because she was old enough to know not to be afraid from Emily's words.

My mom and dad returned from their time away in Brazil — Rio de Janerio to be exact — and they had an amazing time by the sounds of it. I was glad to have them back. While most people my age would love when their parents went out of town and didn't want them to come home I wasn't like that. My family was so close I missed the dynamic — the joking arguments and fights to get to the dinner table first.

They returned in a serious lovey-dovey haze and while that wasn't pleasant for me to witness I was willing to run away as fast as I could if it meant them being home.

I was still faced with a problem though and that was in the shape of a party. I was still in two minds on whether or not to go although I was swaying more towards the option of not going. Brandon, Alex and Jackson were counting on me coming and there was a part of me that didn't want to let them down. They really wanted me to come and to be honest I wasn't sure what was stopping me besides my own subconscious telling me it was a bad idea. I was overthinking it — somewhat scared Josh was going to try and make another move on Amelia. I'd never been there when he'd tried his hand though and the last thing I wanted was for me to lose it around him and everyone at the party.

I was surprised to see my dad sitting down at the kitchen counter when I came downstairs. I thought I was home alone and I frowned in confusion, walking into the kitchen as he sat on his phone, "Dad?"

He looked up and smiled at me, "Hey, what's up?"

I shook my head in response, letting him know nothing was wrong. I walked over, leaning on the white counter opposite him, "I didn't think you were in."

He nodded, "Jared cancelled on me last minute, little ass."

I gave him a knowing smile, "You could've gone out on patrol."

My dad, while amused at my words, rolled his eyes in response, "Yeah, no thanks."

"Mom at..?"

The truth was, I wasn't actually sure where my mom was.

"Esme's?" My dad said before nodding, "Yeah."

I nodded too, sitting down at the island and sighing, running my hand through my hair. I could still feel my dad's attention as he focused it on me, not returning to whatever he was going on his phone. He was looking at my skeptically, his brows drawn in together and when I met his eyes I thought he'd look away but he didn't.

Instead he placed his phone down, locking it and giving his undivided attention to me, "What's up with you then?"

I pursed my lips in contemplation before shaking my head as a warning, "It's stupid."

"Might be stupid but it's still affecting you in some way so it's clearly bothering you." He responded, "Besides, nothing is ever stupid."

"Did you hear about that party on Saturday night?" I asked him curiously.