xiii.

letter;

I stared at the paper bird on my plate before actually registering what it was. It had been a little over four months since the last one, and I had slowly started forgetting about it altogether.

I registered it too late. Zach had snatched it off of my plate before I could even lift my hand.

"Who's it from? Cedric?" He laughed and opened it up.

"That's not yours Zach. Give it back." I said, trying to grab it from his hand, which was considerably harder seeing as he had much longer arms than I did.

"Zach, knock it off." Ernie said.

"Looks like someone has an admirer." He said in a sing sing voice, as he handed the letter back to me, but was grabbed from my hands the minute I touched it.

"Who?" Ernie said opening the note. Justin took it from him and handed it to me.

"Thank you. I finally get to read my own note." I said shooting a glare towards Zach, but all I got in return was him laughing.

"'Habit, if not resisted, soon becomes necessity. -Augustine of Hippo'
You, Riley, are my habit.

-admirer from afar."

Zach was snickering beside me, and I elbowed him in the ribs. He groaned, but mumbled a small "worth it".

A part of me hoped the letters wouldn't come back, seeing as they only led to drama and embarrassment. I also had zero idea who or where they were coming from. My biggest hope was that it wasn't a first year, but that idea was soon put out, seeing as I didn't know anyone besides myself who read history that far back. 

Personally, I loved the letters. I just wished I knew who they came from. It was sweet, but what made me curious is that I didn't know anyone that had taken a liking to me. I would've heard some stupid rumor by now; but I hadn't. 

Thinking back, I only got the letters when I needed them. If I wasn't feeling my best, I got them. It had to be someone I was close with, or else they wouldn't know I needed it. Or they were just very observant. I was guessing the latter.

I sighed, stuffed the letter in my pocket, and proceeded to eat my breakfast that I so desperately needed.

"I'm going to the library." I mumbled, hardly thinking anyone would even bother to listen.

I got up and quickly made my way to the library before I bumped into anyone.

I wanted to be alone. I didn't feel like being social today, and I hoped no one would try and push that. I willed my feet to pick up the pace, and move me faster to the library. Nothing but the clicking of my shoes could be heard down the corridors of the now empty castle. I walked into the library just to stop in my tracks. How there were people already there, I didn't know. I needed to be alone, so I opted for the Black Lake.

It was probably a better place anyways, seeing as if any of the boys heard me at breakfast, they wouldn't know where to find me. 

I sat down on a rock, close enough to hear the current, and the slight waves coming in, far enough that I'm out of view from anyone who would bother glancing down here, and far enough not to get wet.

I don't know how long I sat there, but all the homework I needed to get done, was finished. The sun, had not yet set, and the sky was only tinted yellow.

Throughout the day, it was a blur of Charms and History of Magic. It was uninterrupted bliss. There was no nagging, or fighting, or distractions. I got up, only to stretch, and went back to work. Homework that was due for the next two weeks was done.

I have never felt so relieved.

Walking back to the castle was a nightmare. Everyone I knew was coming up to me and asking where I was, and the boys were apologizing for nothing, saying that they didn't mean to ignore me and that I should've said something. I just smiled and waved them off. Cedric himself even asked where I was. I couldn't help but be a little bit flustered. Nonetheless I reassured him, and everyone else, that I was perfectly alright.

I didn't bother going to dinner, seeing as I wasn't hungry, and went straight up to the dorms.

Not realizing how tired I was, I laid down, and as soon as my head hit my pillow, I was asleep.

. * . * . * . * . 

a/n; i apologize for not having this up sooner.

 i just didn't know how to pick up where i left off. also this is a filler chapter. so so sorry for taking so long to update. ily all. also, 470 reads? wtf? thank you. it means more than any of you know.