90-91 Jackpot

Chu Lian motioned Xiyan and Wenqing to pass the two plates of longevity peach buns around for the madams and young ladies present to taste.

The buns weren’t very big; each one was about the size of an infant’s fist. They were cute and finely made, too -- just about enough for two or three bites, so people wouldn’t get sick of the taste.

Xiyan first brought some buns over to Imperial Princess Leyao before serving them to Madam Huang and the other madams behind her. As for Wenqing, she served them to Royal Princess Duanjia first, then Lady Yang and so on.

Once everyone had a peach bun in their hands, they could instantly tell that these were actually buns and not peaches.

Royal Princess Duanjia pinched the soft peach bun in her hand and examined it seriously, just as if it was a novelty to her. When she sniffed it, she was surprised to find that it not only looked like the real thing, but even carried the clean, fresh aroma of real peaches.

The ladies holding the adorable longevity peach buns couldn’t bear to take a bite; instead, they wanted to keep them like souvenirs and put them on display to admire how realistic they were everyday!

Royal Princess Duanjia blinked and parted her red, tender lips. She lightly bit into the bun, enjoying the soft, sweet texture of the skin. After biting into it, there was an unexpected flavour.

Before Royal Princess Duanjia could think of what flavour it was, a young madam exclaimed in surprised joy, “Ah! There’s a filling in this bun! It’s soft, sticky and sweet, and it’s not too heavy on your tongue either.”

When Royal Princess Duanjia looked closely at it, she noted that the stuffing was indeed smooth and silky. It had the same colour as red beans, so perhaps the stuffing was made of that?

The women who had tasted Chu Lian’s peach buns were all quiet. Even those who had been picking on Chu Lian had forgotten to speak. Why? Her peach buns were simply too delicious!

Imperial Princess Leyao and Madam Huang each took one bite. Their expressions simultaneously turned serious.

Despite the frustration in their hearts, both of them still finished every bit of the little longevity peach bun in their hands.

They couldn’t help it. No matter how angry they were, their taste buds were begging for more!

It only took one bite to make Lady Yang’s eyes light up. She also had a sweet tooth. Upon seeing two buns left on the plate before her, she didn’t wait for anyone else to react and swiped both of them for herself. Then, she swiftly finished them off with a few elegant movements.

None of the ladies standing around Madam Rong were ranked highly enough to be part of the crowd that was tasting the buns. Madam Rong anxiously stared at the madams in the center. When she saw that Lady Yang had eaten three in one go, she finally relaxed. However, a pool of mixed feelings quickly replaced her previous anxiety.

She regretted it a little now. If… If she had been decisive enough to stand by Chu Lian, she would be able to boast right now.

Miss Su inwardly sighed in relief and smiled at Chu Lian. She had thought that this Sixth Sister of hers was too ambitious and arrogant in the past, and was too reckless in trying to make a name for herself. However, after this wild turn of events today, her opinion of Chu Lian changed a lot.