Chapter 2: Betrayed

Why was he so persistent? He doesn't know a single thing about me. I slowly placed a hand in my jacket, where my pistol lied. Jack noticed as he spoke up. "Coulson wishes to find you."

I was taken back by his words. How the hell did he know about Coulson? I furrowed my brows. "You know Coulson?" 

"Our organizations are working together." He explained.

This could be a trap though. With this in mind, I leaned in towards Jack, raising my hands. "Fine, take me with you."

A satisfied smile appeared on his face. "You've made a smart decision, Malick."

As he went to grab his handcuffs, I swung my arm, hitting Jack's jaw. He let out a grunt as he staggered back. I quickly turned around, running off, using the crowd of people to advantage. I heard him yell out my name as I rushed inside a building. Once I climbed to the top of the building, I spotted Jack in plain sight, still trying to find me. 

I took out my bow and an arrow from my quiver on my back before aiming it at Jack. As I aimed my arrow, I couldn't fire the shot. I could feel myself hesitating as Jack's words echoed in my head. "I know you aren't what you seem."

At that moment, I heard my phone ring from my pocket. I checked the caller to see the word unknown. Reluctantly, I put my bow and arrow away before answering the call.

"Hello?"

"Rosemary, sweetie, it's me!"

I grimaced upon hearing mom's cheery high pitch voice. I rolled my eyes. "Mom, what do you need?"

"Can't a mother check on her daughter once and a while? I haven't heard from you in years." Mom retorted, feigning that she was hurt.

"That's because you only call when you need something. What is it?" I retorted, not believing her at all.

"You're no fun. But I do need you. It's time to make the proper arrangements, I'm going forth with my plan." She informed me. 

"Very well, I'll go after I finish my business here." I assured her.

"Now Rose." She ordered.

I glanced back at Jack, seeing he was still trying to find me. I let out a groan. "Fine..."

•••

Through mom's connections, I took a plane to Cambodia, where she was hiding. Mom's lair was in the ruins of a jungle. There she built her lair, filled with buildings that reminded her of home. She called this place Poppyland. I was happy that I only visited this place as a child and never lived here, but then again, Malick Manor wasn't all that great either. I then made my way to the diner, where I knew my mom would be. Once I was inside, I saw mom behind the grill making burgers. A smile appeared on her face as soon as she saw me.

"Ah Rosemary, good to see you. I'm making burgers." She mentioned.

I plopped down on the stool sitting across from her. As she continued making burgers, I spoke up, wanting to know more about what she had in mind. "You said you're putting your plan in motion. What do you need from me?"

"There's a man who reached out to me. His name is Charlie, Charlie Hesketh." Mom informed me. "He's in London. He said he'll help us in exchange for a favor."

"I'm not sure. My hands are already filled with matters I must attend with Hydra. I'm helping recruit more agents and scientists." I replied.

"Oh I see...I suppose your father's precious organization is far more important than mine. I see where your priorities lie." She retorted.