Chapter 13: The Review

"How would you rate your attention to the client from one to ten?" Richard asks me, his eyes downcast at the paper in front of him.

"Nine. I think I do a great job, but I also think that there is always room for improvement."

I fold my hands in front of me on the table, a polite but serious look on my face. I spent the entire ride over to BHE clearing my head of yesterday and the events that transpired. Besides a few minor transgressions, I am a terrific assistant. I constantly anticipate the client's needs (and I'll ignore the fact how they do that for me as well) and I bring organization and stability to their everyday life.

"How would you rate your ability to remain confidential as it pertains to their celebrity status?"

"I think I do that to the best of my ability. I have not spoken about having this job to anyone except my mother, and I was permitted to do so in regard to their world tour."

Richard ticks a box in the appropriate area and moves on, "How do you think the members could fare without you?"

"The boys are very independent. I think they would do just fine without an assistant in their lives. Having an assistant isn't about what they could not do without them, but what freedom and time it gives them when having one."

He scribbles some notes down and hums his agreement.

"Have you been adhering to the rules and regulations given to you when you first accepted this position?"

I've anticipated this question. My spine straightens, and my eyes do not break eye contact. I clear my head of all the things that could give me away. I took extra care in my makeup this morning, using a liquid foundation instead of powder; all the better to hide my flushing face.

"Breaking any of those rules would be vastly unprofessional and I like to hold myself to the highest standard when following rules. I am so grateful for this job I would never do anything to jeopardize it."

Liar, liar, LIAR. My brain screams at me, but my resilience holds strong.

"How have you prepared yourself for going on a world tour?"

This question throws me off guard for a second.

"I'll be honest...I haven't really prepared for the world tour in any specific way. I don't have a roommate or any pets, so there isn't much to worry about in that aspect. As long as I pack appropriately, I think I would be ready to leave as soon as needed."

Richard writes some notes in the margins of his papers and then closes the folder.

"Thank you for all your honest and well thought out answers today, Rose. After compiling the reviews from the members and cross-referencing them with your score today, we will let you know the outcome of your performance review." He smiles politely at me and heads out the door.

I wait for a beat and then collapse my posture.

My neck hurts from holding it up and my back aches from having such perfect posture, even my mouth feels sore from the demure smile I kept in place. I'm such a fucking fake, a fucking fraud. Here I am acting as the model employee when I've broken the most cardinal rule. If I was a better person I would have told the truth. If I was a better person I would have let them fire me and back my bags and head home. But I'm not a better person, I'm just a girl. A girl who is desperately trying to run from her past. I'll be honest about something else too, I don't want to get fired because I don't want to stop being around the boys. I've only worked here for a couple of weeks but I feel like I have become an integral part of their everyday lives, and they have for me too. What would have happened to me at that bar if I hadn't called Namjoon? If they hadn't come and take care of everything. Sure Hyuna and Emilee would have helped, they already helped so much that night, but the idols hold more power in the world. They have the ability to make things happen, things that normal people just can't do without a lot of effort. Having them in my life makes me feel safe and protected for one of the first times in my life and I just can't give it up. But that closeness comes with a cost...