Turn 1 | A New Life

Five years ago, deep in the virtual network.

"Vanish, Cyberse!"

In a binding circle of red light, five Ignis are trapped, unable to do anything but watch as Cracking Dragon's flames destroy the world they've built up and lived in peacefully for five years.

It fills the white Ignis with white hot, seething rage. The Ignis haven't done anything, yet here is a hacker group trying to destroy everything they've ever known.

It knows it can't risk rescuing its companions until the Knights of Hanoi are dealt with.

And it certainly can't do that with this incompetent fool of an Ignis.

"Sorry for the wait! Your saviors have arrived!"

The only reason the white Ignis isn't trapped is because it happened to be talking with the most annoying one of all.

"Being around the most hated sure has its perks, eh?" The Dark Ignis nudges the white one in jest, but it snaps furiously back, arms raised.

"How in the world can you still joke? We're being attacked!"

"Yeah, yeah. You know what we gotta do to save them, right?"

The white Ignis sighs and wordlessly flies up towards the exit of Cyberse World.

"Oi, wait for me!"

Revolver grits his teeth at the retreating Ignis and orders Cracking Dragon in their direction. "Don't let them escape!"

The first AI cracks through the green barrier of Cyberse World, with the purple one not far behind.

"I'll take half, you take the other. It'll be less dangerous for the others if the data is split up, just in case one of us is captured." It starts encoding the location of Cyberse World and severing the connection between the Knights of Hanoi.

The Dark Ignis sulks. "Ah, I hate it when you boss me around." Nevertheless, it encodes the last part of the Data Material, effectively sealing Cyberse World away from the Knights of Hanoi. "Piece of cake!"

A roar erupts behind the floating figures, and the purple one turns to see Cracking Dragon flying full speed towards them.

"Look out!" It pushes the white AI away from the dragon, but not fast or far enough to escape the dragon's sharp jaws.

The white Ignis screams in agony as half of its body is severed by  Cracking Dragon's teeth.

I'm trapped! And Revolver is quickly approaching. It has to think of something, fast.

Half of its body is already unsalvageable at this point and, according to quick simulations, forcefully disconnecting with it would be the best route of escape. Doing so would affect its memories, but that's better than endangering the rest of the Ignis. It's a little worried about the Dark Ignis' unknown state, and the chances of reuniting with it are slim.

If there is one thing this program will ever pray for, it's the hope it'll get out of this situation alive and be able to live undisturbed with the companions it has come to care for.

The Ignis heaves the remains of its body out of the dragon's clenches. It flees into the network, with broken memories and a festering hatred for humans.

——————

Turn 1 | A New Life

Cheek pressed against the cold glass of the window pane, you lazily soak in the glittering view of your hometown's skyline. Birds soar below the plane with wind ruffling their feathers. Soft music resonates in your ears as you watch them glide gracefully around skyscrapers.