Thursday

The library smelled like vanilla and fresh coffee. Harry snapped open his eyes- he wasn't supposed to be smelling nice things. The brewing potions smelt like dog shit. Had something gone wrong? Instead of two exploding potions, Harry saw two blond headed classmates sitting at his table.

"Luna? Malfoy?" Luna was a Ravenclaw girl, a year younger than him. He had met her while wandering the castle late at night, woken from nightmares, and they had hit it off. Though, what she was doing with Malfoy, Harry had no idea.

Luna smiled dreamily and Malfoy sneered. Luna handed him a plate of vanilla wafers and Malfoy placed a cup of black coffee next to him. Not wanting to push his luck, he ate his breakfast quickly, dipping the wafers in coffee, deciding the questions could come later. After he was done with his coffee, he turned to his potions. With a tempus spell, he saw it was time to take them off the burner. With a huff, he began transferring them off the heat.

"I don't like being ignored, Potter." Potter continued to ignore him. Malfoy growled. "You aren't even gunna ask why I'm here with Looney?"

Harry turned off the burners, "I figured she would tell me. And don't call her Looney."

Luna hummed in agreement. "He wanted to help, so we brought you breakfast." Malfoy flushed.

"I did no such thing! Why would I worry about Golden Boy!" Malfoy snapped defensively.

"You tell me." Luna's laughed dazily. Malfoy's face turned am even deeper shade of red and he opened his mouth to give a snappy response, but Harry cut in before he could.

"As much as I love banter," he stirred the first potion three times counterclockwise, "I need to focus."

They both shut up, Luna with a smile and Draco with a frown. After a moment of them watching Harry stir the potions in silence, Harry spoke. "You should get going. Classes start soon. Thanks for the breakfast."

Luna stood to go, but Malfoy bit his lip. "I.." his voice was weak but he steadied himself, "I know you can do this. I don't think you're weak. Or dumb. But I want to help you get back to hexing me. It's boring without you." Harry just nodded

"I get that. Now get to class, you stupid git." Malfoy smiled smally and left with Luna, who gave him a lopsided wave. They walked side by side, talking quietly. Harry suscepted that they were friends. He found them an odd pair. Shaking off the thought, he shifted his attention to his work.

He worked non stop until noon, when Ron and Hermione walked into the library with lunch for him. "Ello, mate!" Ron placed down a plate with treacle tarts and a ham and cheese sandwich down. Hermione handed him a water bottle.

"Most teacher have agreed to not make you make up for this week's work, which is lovely," Hermione frowned, "Except Snape. He said if the work is late, it's a week's detention."

"What a git," Ron mumbled but Harry smiled.

"He believes I can do it."

Ron raised an eyebrow. "What?"

"He doesn't think I'm gunna get myself killed. That's why he says I have to make up the work," Harry's grin grew larger, "He believes in me."

"A bit odd coming from him," Hermione agreed, "But, yes, I follow your line of logic here."

Harry ate his sandwich slowly as his friends filled him in on the latest drama he'd been missing. Not being able to take breaks had been exhausting, but he had no choice. Everything had to be timed to a T. Eventually, Ron and Hermione left to go to class, leaving Harry all alone.

He missed them. Sighing, he wrapped Ron's jacket around his shoulders. He got back to work, though his feet were aching and his back was sore.

About an hour later, Hedwig flew into the library unceremoniously, with a letter. He stopped what he was doing, setting his storing utensil down, and grabbed the letter. He absentmindedly rubbed the owl's head, muttering a "Thanks you, girl," before opening the letter.

In neat, prestine hand writing, it read:

Dear Potter,

I have been instructed by Dumbledore to help with the brewing of your potions. I will arrive at the library after supper to review the work you've done. Be there, or don't. If you are not there in fifthteen minutes after the time I arrive, I am legally allowed to leave. I do not care either way.

Snape.

Harry frowned at the letter. Dumbledore did not seem to have much faith in him, though this may be just a precaution. Still, it upset him.

His potions needed to brew for two hours, so he set them back on the burners, and headed down to the Great Hall early. Fifthteen minutes later, his friends say beside him. "You're eating at the hall?" Hermione questioned. Harry shrugged.

"I needed a break. And everything needs to simmer for a while, so."

Ron grinned, though it looked disgusting as his mouth was full of food, "We missed you here, mate. Glad to have you back." Hermione nodded in agreement.

"Yeah, the whole table's been missing you." Harry looked over and saw his fellow Gryffindor's staring at him. he waved shyly.

"Dumbledore's having Snape check my potions after supper."

"You poor soul..." Ron muttered and Harry laughed.

"It'll be fine, I think. He was fairly not-rude to me when this whole," he gestured broadly, "thing started. Like, he thought it was unfair I had to do this on my own, or something."

Hermione hummed in thought. Ron only shrugged at this new information, "Once a slimy prude, always a slimy prude. He'll likely still act like he always does. Good luck."

Harry frowned. He noticed that Snape had already left the hall. He scarfed down the left of his plate, said goodnight to his friends, and sped walked to the library. Snape stood, overlooking his potions, with a thoughtful expression on his face. Noticing Harry come in, he glared.

"And to think, I was two minutes away from leaving." Harry shrugged. Snape studied his potions a bit more. "They all look like they should. For now. When will this one be completed?"

"Sometime tomorrow, Sir. And the other two should be done the day after."

Snape nodded. "Everything is in order, then." The he added, almost as an afterthought, "You're surprisingly competent."

Harry almost gaped in shock- did he, Harry bloody Potter, just get complimented by Snape? Quickly regaining his composure, he spoke with a small smile on his face, "Thank you, Sir."

Snape then left the room, heading to his quarters, with a sweep of his robes. Harry sighed. He found have to pull an all nighter, as the potions didn't need to simmer until the next day. He was just so tired of the constant effort.

Nonetheless, he pushed his glasses up, preparing himself for the long night. Quickly, he found a rhythm, and the hours passed like seconds as he worked