Chapter Nineteen

Today is an absolutely perfect day.

As annoying as it is for Sam to not let me do anything by myself, being pampered has been a treat. He led me through the woods to the cabin, which is absolutely gorgeous. The rocky coast gives me a beautiful view of the vast waters. I can't wait to go swimming tomorrow. 

We ran around the beach and played while the wolves unloaded the wagon. I felt kind of bad that we were having fun while they were unloading our stuff, but not so bad that I gave up Sam's kisses to help them. 

"Okay, so tell me about another talent," Sam demands, setting my dinner plate in front of me. Much to my annoyance, he wouldn't let me help him cook dinner after the wolves left and we came inside. Instead, I've been sitting at the small table in the kitchen and telling him what it was like growing up in a coven rather than a pack. 

The meat on my plate is steaming as it just came off the fire, and the smell is making my mouth water. Sam seats himself at the table across from me and looks into my eyes lovingly. It takes everything in me not to melt right here.

"Well, the next one I would tell you about is chemic," I start, blowing on the food on my plate to cool it down, "but, I don't have anything here I could use to demonstrate for you."

"What about the spell you did to find out how to break the curse? When you walked around inside my head," he asks, not wasting any time before shoveling a giant bite of our dinner into his mouth. "What talent did you use for that?" I try hard to suppress my giggle at the muffled words he speaks before swallowing his bite, but he just sounds too cute. He shoots me a playful glare before I notice the heated blush rising to his cheeks.

"I used the psychic talent for that," I answer before he can needlessly defend himself. "Psychics can read people's minds by looking into their eyes. I've never been the best at it, though. It makes me feel uncomfortable and incredibly invasive."

"Have you done it to me?" he asks. I search his eyes for any animosity but he seems to only be curious. Hopefully, he won't be upset at the truth.

"A couple times," I admit, but don't offer up any further information. I know he's going to ask, I just don't want to tell him about the times I've invaded his thoughts.

He stares at me as if waiting for me to continue. When I don't he sighs, almost unnoticeably. "When?"

"The first time was when I asked you to reject me," I confess, hoping he truly doesn't mind me invading his privacy like this. His eyes seem to widen at my words but I continue before he can say anything. "When you told me you liked hurting me, I decided that if it was true, I would reject you." With those words, I can tell that I broke his heart; even knowing that I contemplated rejecting him is enough to cause pain. The emotion is gone as quickly as it appeared though, and he seems so happy to know I stayed. 

"Obviously, whatever you heard was enough to keep you around, though, huh?" he asks with a slight smile.

"I heard three voices and it was incredibly confusing because you were only supposed to have two," I tell him with a chuckle. "You and your wolf were calling the imposter an asshole and telling him that you needed me," I continue. "And, you called me perfect." My voice is no louder than a whisper and his smile widens at that.

"Well, you are perfect," he tells me, reaching out and picking up my hand softly. He presses the softest kiss to my knuckles before squeezing my fingers and resting my hand back on the table. "Another time?"

"The second time was when you wanted to kiss me for the first time," I say. I instantly feel the blush raise to my cheeks and I bite my lip. "You were hesitating; I figured you wanted to kiss me, but I didn't want to make the first move without knowing for sure."