Chapter 20: Combination

Harumi's POV

     After Steepest Wisdom went up in flames, the Ninja had no choice but to keep us with them on the Bounty. Malevolence wanted us dead, so that helped them get it through their thick brains that we might have a bigger role to play. Wu decided that Morro and I would train to fight (under heavy supervision, of course), in case we were attacked again.

     Every morning was filled with hardcore training routines that made me ache in places I didn't know could ache.

     Morro was ecstatic about how his powers had started to return. He spent more time than necessary practicing his control, growing more and more confident that his wind was returning to its original strength. I could tell practicing with his elemental power took a big toll on him; there were times where I could hear Morro moaning in pain from inside of his locked room. Yet, as each day passed, he continued to show amazing prowess. It was almost as if the effects of the Departed Realm had not happened at all.

     I was pleased about how my dagger throws regained their accuracy so quickly. I had trained myself for years how to kill; it seemed those skills had been locked into my brain. Sure, I still made silly mistakes like doing the wrong footing or kicking when I was supposed to be dodging. However, it felt good finally to not have to be working full-time. I relished the nights of sleep with vigor.

     My left wrist, on the other hand, was a constant bother. When the wound had been properly examined, it turned out that the sword had not cut very deep. The blade had happened to hit the right vein, so it bled a lot. It took a while to staunch the blood flow, but once it stopped, it didn't break open again. It liked to throb whenever I hit it against something, so I had to be careful about where I was flinging my arms.

     My head did also not take very well to being hit with a club; I tried ridiculous ways to wear my very long hair so it covered up the large bump.

     The only downside to living with the Ninja was that I had to see them all the time. During meals, Morro and I would sit quietly at the table while the Ninja tried not to discuss anything 'top secret.' They would watch us while we trained, be at every corner we turned, and always stumble in whenever I was trying to have some alone time. After everything we'd been through, they still didn't trust me enough to leave me by myself for five minutes.

     Kai was recovering nicely. The attack on Steepest Wisdom had set back his recovery a bit, but he could still participate in the Ninja's daily training. His flame was growing stronger and he insisted he felt ready to fight. I didn't blame him. I wanted to get Malevolence out of the way before she brought back the Overlord. If she brought him back, then we just might lose this battle. I might be able to take on a demon-queen, but there was no way I could stand a chance against an incarnated Overlord.

     Strangely enough, there weren't any more Vermillion attacks. Day after day slipped by; each of them weighed down with dreadful anticipation. Before any of us knew it, a whole week had passed without a single peep from evil. Gail Gossip shared rumors on the Vermillion's defeat. While Ninjago City gained hope that the attacks were over, I only felt stress. Malevolence had waited hundreds of years to bring her first plan into action. She was probably using the time now to prepare for something terrible.

     In the afternoon of the seventh day I had been on the Bounty, I leaned on the railing of the cockpit area, watching the Ninja do their battle training. We had parked in the steady waters of the Endless Sea. The gentle waves rocked the boat to a calming rhythm, while the placid sunlight heated the world to the perfect temperature. I felt lulled by the conditions. Morro was off doing something with Wu, so I was alone.

     Each day there was a different weapon they trained with so they would be efficient with anything. Today, the air was filled with the sounds of swords clashing and taunts as the Ninja had their friendly rivalries. Jay went easy on Kai, Cole matched Nya move for move, and Zane easily kept up with Lloyd's intense blows.