final chapter

FINAL CHAPTER

FINAL CHAPTER

The Great Hall was soundless, and few dared snigger and waltz around as they would habitually. Almost all were dressed in black, and Varya let her eyes trail the room with some aversion— most had not even known Ivy, yet they paraded themselves around with a grief-stricken expression as if they had been the ones that had lost a beloved friend. It was all a pretense, a vanity of tenderness to plead for attention and consolation, yet none would lose sleep over her death.

"Stop gripping your fork so tightly," muttered Felix from beside her as he grabbed her hand and unclenched her fingers from her utensil, "You look as if you are about to stab someone."

Varya sighed and let her body loosen, although the tautness never quite seemed to fade the way, and she watched from the Ravenclaw table as Headmaster Dippet discussed something with Elladora Selwyn. Then, he pulled out a badge from his pocket and handed it to the girl.

The Eastern witch stabbed her steak, earning a surprised yelp from Parkin, "Holy marbles, you scared me!"

"He made Elladora a prefect," Varya remarked bitterly, nodding to where her roommate accepted the badge. She had the decency to appear unsure, at least, almost as if she had not waited for her moment to outshine Ivy for so long.

Felix followed her gaze, then sighed, "I dislike that red-haired throat-slashing siren as much as everyone else, but you cannot blame her for that. They had to fill in the position, and with you leaving Hogwarts, Elladora was the obvious choice."

That was a reasonable way to address the issue, yet Varya still felt cold. It should not have been done so soon, not when Ivy's body had just been carried out of Hogsmeade and was not even six feet underground. It felt premature, almost as if some part of her could return and retake her rightful place.

Even so, Felix's words rang with truth— regardless of Selwyn's previous intentions, the witch was not at fault for what had happened, and if anyone could fill in Ivy's shoes, it would be the tornado of fire and vexation that was Elladora Selwyn.