Aashna ~ 4

Shehryaar didn't sleep a wink last night, he keeps tossing left to right and right to left when morning arrived.

The gloominess inside of him was shown outside too. Sun was very dim while the birds didn't chirp that morning.

Shehryaar rubbed his eyes to wipe the tiredness away from them and get down from his bed.

He was greeted by his mother and sister at the breakfast table. Sana was feeding her two years old daughter, while Ruhina was reading the newspaper, and Meher's seat was empty, as always after Sahir's death.

Sana saw him staring at Meher's empty seat, as she shared an anxious look with her mother.

She wanted to ask him about his decision but knows better not to. She has just talked to him and knowing Shehryaar, he won't decide over a night.

Ignoring his mother's and sister's eyes on him, Shehryaar poured juice for himself.

"Where is Rayyan?" Taking a sip of his juice, Shehryaar asked. Rayyan would usually be seated beside his grandma on the dining table.

Ruhina always doted on Rayyan, but after the death of Sahir, Rayyan becomes centre of Ruhina's attention. She never let him left her side for more than a minute.

"Mishi took him with her," Sana answered.

Shehryaar nods his head and continues his breakfast.

•••

Wearing his wristwatch, Shehryaar held his travel case and left his room. Before he could enter the lounge room to say his goodbye to his mother, he heard laughing and giggles from inside which made him startled.

For one second, he thought it was Meher's soft laugh but when he got a glimpse of the room, it was Mashal. She was laughing at something Rayyan said or maybe do. While Ruhina was caressing Rayyan's head. He has definitely done something.

Shehryaar cleared his throat and approached them. Mashal quickly sat properly and draped her dupatta, Rayyan ran to him.

Rayyan got used to Shehryaar now, he now allows Shehryaar to hold him in his arms.

Shehryaar picked Rayyan in his arms while Rayyan was rambling about what he did at Mishi's home.

"Ya Allah, itna late hogaya. Aunty, mujhe Jana Hoga Meri dupehar ki class Hai." Mashal suddenly exclaimed when she saw the time on the wall clock.

(I have to go, I have a class to attend.)

"Class? You are still studying?" Before Mashal could get up to leave, Shehryaar asked. Little Rayyan was still placed in his arms.

Last, when he recalled, Mashal was two years younger than him and he has completed his studies three years ago. Which means Mashal would have completed her studies one year ago. Or did she failed?

"I teach. I'm a teacher." Said Mashal, offended. But later added with a hint of pride in her voice.

Shehryaar could only say Oh.

"Mujhe bhi chalna chahiye ab." Shehryaar tried to give Rayyan to Ruhina but Rayyan clung onto him.

(I should also leave now.)

"Rayyan, mujhe kaam pe Jana haina," Shehryaar told him but he filled his eyes with tears which instantly soften Shehryaar.

(I have to go, Rayyan.)

Hugging Rayyan, Shehryaar helplessly looked at Ruhina and Mashal.

Ruhina's eyes were also filled with tears, maybe the ghost memory of past were playing in her head.