Chapter 20: Swords and Broom closets

As soon as the shift ended for the day's patrol, a large man in a warrior's uniform arrived along the beach on a beige horse. As he stopped and climbed off the horse, he called my name in the most military like fashion.

"Warrior, Zelena," he said.

"Yes?" I replied.

"The council has requested your presence," he said.

I stood straight and nodded.

"When?" I asked.

"Immediately," he said. "Allow me to escort you back to the academy? They've sent me to retrieve you."

"Very well," I said, stepping over.

The warrior climbed up on his horse once again and then held out a hand towards me. I reached up and took his hand. As I climbed on the horse, he pulled me up easily. Within seconds, the horse went trotting down the beach, moving gracefully back towards one of the travel paths.

When the warrior and I arrived back at the academy, he helped me off the horse and left with the same odd words that everyone else tended to use before parting ways.

"Thrive Fare," he said and the rode off.

I went inside the academy and walked swiftly through the corridors and halls. As I made my way to the council auditorium, I brushed off several stray grains of beach sand and dust from my coat and trousers. I then lifted my bow over my head and carried it in my hand to give my shoulders a break from the weight of it.

Several faces seemed to turn towards my direction as I made my way through the corridors. Plenty smiled and several actually made some kind of gesture of greeting.

"Zelena," one woman said, pausing to bow her head.

"Hi," I simply said, unsure of what else to say. She smiled and continued, obviously pleased enough with my response.

At this point, I could only assume that people were glad to have me back in the kingdom, or they weren't fond of Eustace and were overjoyed by his suspension. Perhaps grateful that I assisted in putting him there.

I turned into the large doors of the council auditorium and walked inside, heading up the long blue carpet.

Just like the first day I had arrived in Woodbridge, the five council leaders were scattered all over the room, doing their own thing or discussing something amongst each other.

Upon my arrival, the five council members abandoned their tasks and made their way over to their table at the back of the auditorium.

"Zelena," Georgina said, her voice professional instead of motherly. "Thank you for responding."

I stepped up to the end of the carpet, in front of the council table, and gave them all one swift nod. Each of them joined behind the table and took their seats. Maximus in the middle, Georgina on his right, Drezon on his left, with Skylar and Verona at the ends.

"Is this about what happened with Warrior Eustace?" I asked, trying to sound professional by putting his title up.

"No," Verona answered. "As previously discussed, the council pardoned you with a warning."

"Okay," I said. "So what can I do for you?"

"We want to hear of your progress. Do you know anything about Xenophil's missing books, yet?" Maximus asked.

I decided to be honest about what I already found and what I didn't find. It probably wouldn't make much of a difference, though.

"I have a journal collection," I said. "You advised me to read through it and I did. There's an entry in one of them that touches on the subject. It said that his most valuable things were kept under the house."