𝓬𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 𝓽𝓱𝓻𝓮𝓮

AS THE YEAR progressed, so did Regulus's want to go to Hogwarts. In all of his letters, Sirius always wrote excitedly about the people, the professors, and the castle. It sounded amazing.

Regulus kept every letter Sirius sent him in a small shoebox under his bed, somewhere he knew his parents wouldn't look. After word had gotten out about Sirius's house, they'd been acting as if he wasn't a part of the family anymore.

And as much as Reggie didn't like hearing his parents talk so poorly on his brother, he couldn't help but think it was Sirius's own doing.

He knew being in Gryffindor wasn't really something he could've controlled, but befriending the blood-traitors? All the Mudbloods? It was as if he was taking everything their parents had ever taught and given them and spat on it.

After Bella's visit a while ago, he couldn't get Voldemort out of his head. Anytime his older cousin came to visit, he'd beg her for more information on the man, something she happily obliged in.

One day, a couple of months after Christmas break had passed, Bellatrix even came in with a copy of The Daily Prophet proudly clenched in her hands.

"Hello Uncle, hello Aunt," she greeted, stepping into the house. Unlike usual, her new husband wasn't with her.

"Bellatrix, what a surprise," Walburga greeted her with a kind smile.

"I hope I'm not intruding, but I wanted to bring Regulus a gift while I was in the area."

"For me?" Regulus asked eagerly. His nineteen-year-old cousin smiled wickedly down on him. He was going to be great, she could feel it. All it would take were a few nudges in the right direction, something she was happy to do.

"Yes, dear Regulus. Look! It's Lord Voldemort! It's his first official appearance on The Daily Prophet. It's only a matter of time before he gains a larger following, and I'll be right by his side."

Regulus stared at the paper in awe, his parents smiling down fondly at him. He ran his fingers over the words, tracing Voldemort's name, before thanking Bellatrix and bringing the copy to his room for safe keeping.

In his next letter to Sirius, he sent a (different) copy of the article, writing his praise for the man and his ideals.

It took nearly two weeks for Sirius to write back, and when he did, the letter was short and straight to the point.

Regulus,

It may be best if you steer away from the politics of our parents. Voldemort is evil. Remember that.

Your Goose,

Sirius

Regulus couldn't describe how he was feeling when he first got that letter. The mixed feelings of anger, sadness, and disappointment were heavy on the boy's chest and he wanted Sirius to be there so they could yell at each other and settle things like they always did.

But Sirius wasn't there and Regulus didn't want to argue with Sirius over letter, so he just waited a month before writing again, acting as if the last couple letters had never been exchanged. Voldemort being evil? It was rubbish.

Voldemort would be the savior of them all.

After that, the letters between them became more infrequent but it wasn't purposeful. Sirius began studying for his end of the year exams and hanging out with James while Regulus had been busy with the new tutor his parents hired.

"To teach you the proper etiquette of a pureblooded wizard, of course," his mother had said the one time he had complained, asking why it was necessary.

"But mother, I know all this," he whined.

"You have to learn and start getting used to the spotlight. Now stand up straight and go meet Madame Walish."

Regulus sighed before forcing himself to comply. "Yes, mother."

He didn't know it then, but that was the day his parents started to prepare for him to be the heir. That was the day Sirius started to slip away. 

_____

here's a super short update for you guys! I know it's a bit slow moving and I apologize for that, but no worries! Juno will be introduced in about 2 chapters from now!